cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset password last week, but Outlook on PC won't accept it - works through MyVirginMedia

hp11
Joining in

Hi,

I needed to change my email password last week, but found I couldn't do it online and had to call.  I did this and had a new password generated which works for me to log into myvirginmedia for this email address.   However, when I've tried to update it on Outlook on my PC, it just won't have it.   I don't seem to be able to reset my password myself (it's a secondary password to the main account), but I've seen others with old @ntlworld.com accounts saying they've had similar problems.

When I've tried to change the password again online to try again it asked me to verify my account by changing the email address - I don't really understand that and don't wan to lose the ability to access my emails via outlook on my computer.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media recently introduced an App Password for use with email clients; it is not the same as your account password and is auto-generated, for example civic-rotor-deed-tenet . To generate a new App Password sign into My Virgin Media and select Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > Generate new App password

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

hp11
Joining in

I should add that I have tried removing the account and re-adding it, but now don't have the account available on outlook at all.  Says it can't log onto the incoming IMAP server and to check email address and password and try again.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media recently introduced an App Password for use with email clients; it is not the same as your account password and is auto-generated, for example civic-rotor-deed-tenet . To generate a new App Password sign into My Virgin Media and select Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > Generate new App password

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thank you.   I was confused by having to change my sign in email address to do it, but have got that bit sorted now as well.  So much more fiddly, but hopefully more secure.

Thank you for your help.

That's all very well, but I use both an android phone AND a laptop, both signing in with outlook. I now have to generate a new password (which only seems to work on My VM on the laptop) every time I switch between devices. That can't be right, surely?

Regards,
Paul

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pablofingers, Virgin Media accounts now have two passwords:

• an Account Password to be used when signing into My Virgin Media or webmail
  • an App Password to be used with other email clients, like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc

Switching between devices does not necessitate a change of either. What do you see that makes you think it is necessary?

BTW: please consider not posting the same question  over multiple threads in the hope of getting help. It is:

• against forum rules
  • wastes contributor's time as others may have already answered in other threads 

Thanks for that - I understand what you're saying. However, if I generate a new app password and use it to sign in on my phone, it works. If I then try and use the same password on my Windows laptop, it fails, and I have to generate a new password to log in. Not very friendly, but it works.

However, if I then switch back to my android phone, and try to use the password that worked on my Windows laptop previously, it fails. Much worse than that, I have to uninstall the android outlook client, reinstall it to add my usual email account, and THEN that password works!!!

Surely that wasn't the intention when VM brought in the new process? Its absolutely awful if they did - absolutely NOT user friendly!

Regards,
Paul

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following to troubleshoot this issue:

• confirm account authentication credentials work with Android email client
  • confirm same account authentication credentials work with Windows email client
  • if, as previously reported, the Windows email client fail then it would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. On the Windows device open a Command Shell and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:civic-rotor-deed-tenet:
    curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password
    Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > [Redacted]
    < 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
    > HELP
    < 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    < 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    < 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    < 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    * Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact
    Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > [Redacted]
    < 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
    * Closing connection 0
    * TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
    curl: (67) Login denied