Menu
BrakemanBob
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Reset an alias password

Good morning everyone

I have a blueyonder email account and many years ago I set up an alias for my wife. She has had a new tablet for Christmas and would like me to set it up to send and recieve emails but I have forgotten the password for the alias account. How can I reset the password for this account without deleting the alias (and thus lossinf everything therein).

I ahve scoured the VM help and the forum but I cannot find anything that appears to help me. Alternatively, how can I contact the help desk or have they shut down for the holidays?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reset an alias password

If it is an alias of the primary email then it shares the same password.  If it is a secondary account then you can change the password via your My Virgin Media account.

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BrakemanBob
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good morning Graham,

Thanks for replying so quickly. It is a secondary account and yesterday I tried to change the password using the 'View/Change' option you describe. However, then next page goes on to ask for my existing password and that has fled my mind. There isn't an option for 'I have forgotten my password', only for 'Delete this account', hence my problem.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@BrakemanBob  I have just looked at the password change process under Manage Accounts for a secondary account.  When you click on view/change the next page has change in red after password.  If you click on that it brings up a screen to enter and confirm a new password.  The old password is not needed for this process.  Are you seeing something different to this screenshot?

change secondary password.PNG

Alternatively try the forgotten password route:

virgin-media-reset-username-and-password 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

BrakemanBob
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

I tried again after I last posted and saw exactly what you showed in the screen shot. I then proceded to change the password and received the confirmation that the password has indeed been changed. Success (or so I thought). Now the email account is locked and my wife cannot access it from her laptop not can I set up her new tablet to access it.

Thank you for your help today

Off to make a cup of tea.......

Bob

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That sounds as if the account has been locked by VM for security reasons.  I will escalate this to the Forum Team who should be able to help you when they reach this thread either later today or tomorrow.

BrakemanBob
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham, that is very helpful

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @BrakemanBob 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I can get this sorted for you. 

I am going to drop you a PM to that I can get some account information, If you keep your eye on the purple envelope on the top right of your screen you will see it there! 

Kind Regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos