Menu
clibay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Replying to/Forwarding emails on my iPad/iPhone

When attempting to forward /reply to emails on my iPad/iPhone I get a box headed "Cannot send mail-the username or password for "???????" is incorrect" (I've left out my email address).

This is causing much inconvenience.

How can I put matters right?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replying to/Forwarding emails on my iPad/iPhone

@clibay wrote:

When attempting to forward /reply to emails on my iPad/iPhone

Just to clarify, does that mean that you can compose and send new emails satisfactorily (as long as you do not use the 'reply' or 'forward' functions) or do you get the same error message when you try to send those?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
clibay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi coenoby.

Just tried sending a new email and yes same error message has come up.
0 Kudos
clibay
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This only happens on my iPad/iPhone.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@clibay wrote:
This only happens on my iPad/iPhone.

Thanks for coming back.

Sorry but I also meant to check whether it happened when your devices are connected to:

your Virgin Media wifi

your mobile network

or both?

If it only happens when you are connected via VM wifi you need to check whether your public VM IP address has been blacklisted.

You can find your public IP address here https://www.whatismyip.com/ (It will be in the format  8n.nn.nn.nnn)

Type or paste your IPaddress on here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/  and see if it is on the SBL line? Do not worry if it is on the PBL or XBL lines - that is not a problem.

Given the symptoms you have described, if your IP address is blacklisted by Spamhaus it will be because you have something called a SpamBot somewhere on your home network sending spam emails. Probably lots and lots of spam!

The SpamBot  will not be sending emails via your email app or any other email software you may have installed and it could be located on any device attached to your network so you will not be aware of what is happening.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
clibay
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.

My IP address is on the SBL line BUT I don't understand what I should be doing to put it right.

Where on my iPad/iPhone do I find the Smtp authentication turn on thingy?

Sorry but as you have gathered I am not very computer savvy.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@clibay wrote:
My IP address is on the SBL line BUT I don't understand what I should be doing to put it right.

Where on my iPad/iPhone do I find the Smtp authentication turn on thingy?

Sorry but as you have gathered I am not very computer savvy.

Here is a link to the comprehensive instructions on how to locate and remove the SpamBot. You can ignore the Spamhaus comment about SMTP authentication, that is not the cause of your problem.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... 

The malware can be on any device on your home network, an Amazon TV Firestick for example and running antivirus software or software such as Malwarebytes is not going to find it. The advice in the link describes how to locate the Spambot by looking for the network traffic that it is generating.

If you are not comfortable doing this, then you may need to seek help locally.

As far as email is concerned you will still be able to use send and receive  messages using the VM Webmail service https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  but bear in mind that the Spambot will still be sending spam out to the rest of the world.

I know it is not a good situation to be in. ☹️

Coenoby

0 Kudos