Menu
crisp29
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Repeated intrusions

I have just had a VM letter ref VMIS-46-F008762372.  It says my mail box has been locked because someone has set up forwarding on my account.  They correctly assume I had not done this,

How is it possible for changes to be made without the intruder having my password and security answers?

Also the account is NOT blocked, but appears to be running as normal.

A few days before Christmas I received a message from VM confirming I had successfully changed my Password. I had not done so. Again, how was it possible? After a long time on the phone I reset all my security details including a strong password (although passwords cannot be very strong because the number of characters is limited and only letters and numbers arre permitted.

On 25 Jan I had an emailed security alert, saying the same as the letter I received to day. It had siieve content attached showing that Amazon emails were to be forwarded to an address. This had happened on 5 December, so a very long delay in informing me of this. But the alert said that I had changed my password so nothing needed to be done. Very confusing because of the long delays involved.

Now I have today's letter. Is iit the same incident as before or has VM again allowed an intruder in?  I do not access dubious emails or website, but even if I did and someone gets my email address, howe does that allow them to change my details without difficulty? Why does VM not set up 2 step authentification like everyone else? Why does VM make it so very difficult to contact them on these issues?

This is a continual worry, so would VM please let me have answers to these questions, and also improve security, otherwise I will have to think about going to another provided for email.

I

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeated intrusions

Hey @crisp29,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for your post. I'm sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you on this. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your email account, if your account has been compromised the person doing that would have access to your account and could make changes all across your account. 

Do you use the same password for numerous sites or are all of your passwords different? The intruder may have been able to get in via a different site and checked numerous sites to see if the same password has been used across other sites. Have you followed the instructions on our site that can be found here? This is to ensure that all of your devices are safe.

Have you been able to get this solved since you posted? If not, please don't worry, we can look into this for you. Please respond to my private message and we can look into this further.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos