Menu
Shaunhornsby
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Removal blueyonder

Spoiler

Hello I would like my blueyonder email address to be deactivated as its old and not in use and feel its spam is getting overwhelming. Can you advise me on how I can close this down please? Thanks 

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Removal blueyonder

You have come to the right place, Shaunhornsby. I am going to assume you are NOT a current VM broadband customer.  Please advise if I am wrong as the advice changes.

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.  They are very busy with a major issue affecting customer email/mailboxes so please be patient. 

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Shaunhornsby

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the forums in regards to an old email account you wish to be closed.

I'm happy to look into this further for you, can you confirm if you still have active Virgin Media services please?

Rob

Shaunhornsby
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes. We still use the internet, phone and TV channels but I want this email closed because the security on it is so poor and the email address has been hacked so many times. 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shaunhornsby, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

To enable me to look into your request further I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R