cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access service - how much and what is it called?

Notebook1
Joining in

I called VM today about loss of email (can't send stuff in Outlook). They offered to remotely access my computer to fix the problem - this is a paid-for service, apparently - but I then got cut off.

My question is: what is this service called? And how much does it cost?

Apparently, it covers all your Virgin services, so broadband, TV etc.

Thanks if you can help.

4 REPLIES 4

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Notebook1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. The service is called gadget rescue and costs £3.99 per month, you can find more information about the service here.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware:

• it is not uncommon to read of customers being direct to Gadget Rescue for issues that Virgin Media should address, for example not being able to send because access to SMTP server is blocked
  • there are ongoing issues affecting Virgin Media's email service, read more here Loss of Email - F010762348 - Virgin Media Community - 5345262

Do consider trying the following troubleshooting steps:

• are your able to sign into webmail and send messages?
  • have you recently change the account's password and if so did you generate an App Password for use in Outlook?
  • what error message does Outlook show when it cannot send an email; make sure to redact any personal information before posting it here
  • from a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:
    curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password
    Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > [Redacted]
    < 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
    > HELP
    < 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    < 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    < 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    < 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    * Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact
    Otherwise an unsuccessful result will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > [Redacted]
    < 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
    * Closing connection 0
    * TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
    curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

ajc72
On our wavelength

Wait, they want people to PAY for them to get off their collective arse and fix the SMTP errors now?

Just wow.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ajc72 wrote:

Wait, they want people to PAY for them to get off their collective arse and fix the SMTP errors now?

Just wow.

It is the premature conclusion that the issue should be referred to Gadget Rescue, or other third-party, solely on the basis that it works in webmail that is concerning.