Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recovering old virginmedia.com email addresses deleted a long time ago

Hi,

I need to recreate several old virginmedia.com email addresses that I deleted a long time ago, but I'm having some difficulty.

I've logged in to my own Virgin Media account (i.e. I am a VM customer) and then tried to add these addresses back again under My Profile - Manage Accounts. When I click on the red "Check availability" button, I'm told "Sorry, that email address is unavailable". So I figure that the address already exists.

To test that, I've sent emails to all these virginmedia.com addresses and I received an immediate bounce back saying "Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently" and then further down "mailbox blahblahblah@virginmedia.com unknown". So it appears that the addresses do NOT exist.

Note that I created these addresses on my VM account years ago, and I deleted them after I thought I no longer needed them, so it's not like I'm trying to gain access to someone else's email 🙂

I've tried going through VM's help system on their main website, and I can find instructions for creating new email addresses. However, no mention is made of what to do when that process fails. Other help articles seem to lead me in circles without giving me any answers.

Does anyone know why I can't create these addresses?

Thanks

DLA1970

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recovering old virginmedia.com email addresses deleted a long time ago

Once a VM email account has been deleted it cannot be used again, even by the customer who originally used the address.

This is why you are seeing the results you are getting.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So how do I go about getting it fixed? Can VM email admins do anything to help? How do I contact them?

Thanks for the quick reply,

DLA1970

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you can't get it fixed. The email can not be setup again once it has been used. Not even by the same person

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean - fixed? There is nothing broken. The system is written that way and VM are not going to change it for you. Indeed if they did change it would be an open invitation to commit fraud and gain control over people's addresses. VM staff will eventually confirm what we are saying.

But there is something else behind this, isn't there? Something like those addresses were used to authenticate other accounts which you now can't get into. In which case discuss this with the organisation concerned. They all have ways and means of dealing with this and giving you access. Pursuing VM is going to prove fruitless.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DLA1970 wrote:

So how do I go about getting it fixed? Can VM email admins do anything to help? How do I contact them?

Thanks for the quick reply,

DLA1970

There is nothing to 'fix'.  Old deleted email address cannot be reused on the VM mail system.  If any one tries to set them up again the message that the email address is unavailable is shown. This is a deliberate security measure used by Virginmedia.

The VM IT team would not be able to re-establish even for the customer who originally set them up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's correct Howard, these email addresses represent accounts for a free-to-play game called Lord of the Rings Online. I'm trying to log in (after 5+ years of inactivity!) but my old password is no longer working. When I click on "forgot password", a password reset email is sent to the now non-existent email address. I didn't think that any of this information was relevant to this particular forum, so I'm sorry for not being immediately forthright.

You'll immediately say, "just create new accounts with different email addresses", and I could easily do that. The trouble is, I've got levelled characters on these accounts and I've spent real money on some of them and I would rather like to login to my old accounts again 🙂

As you suggest, I'll take it up with Standing Stone Games. It would have just been easier to recreate the old email addresses.

Thanks

DLA1970

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you need to contact the game creators and see if they can recovery the account another way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'll do that. Thank you

D.

0 Kudos