Menu
Paulleo
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Recovering deleted emails from a few years ago.

I need to recover some emails which were permanently deleted some time ago on virgin media. I am pretty sure these still exist on a server somewhere just like deleted texts. Is there a way to do this please?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Recovering deleted emails from a few years ago.

No there isn't. Permanently deleted mail is not retained by VM. You decided you wanted to delete it. VM have honoured your request to do so. To retain data would be in breach of all data protection principles. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulleo
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. What you say makes sense. Lesson learnt. The subject matter was concluded but sometimes things take an unexpected turn.
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you used an email client (not including webmail) then consider reviewing device(s) that were in use at that time for possible remnants of the deleted emails by:

• looking for backups of email storage file(s); either created by you or the email client
  • remnants of the deleted emails on free areas of storage; the less used the storage is since deletion the better the chance of recovery

The former would required knowledge of how your email client stored emails and the latter recovery software, for instance TestDisk; do make an image of storage before attempting recovery or seek professional help if justified by the value of the data.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos