cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Old Emails

redhat1991
Dialled in

Hello

My PC hard disc crashed last week. So I had to replace my PC. Now when I access my emails I can't see anything from before I set up my new PC.

I use Thunderbird as a desktop client, but the situation is the same even if I log into Virgin webmail.

I had assume my 'old' emails would still be available, even if only via webmail.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@redhat1991 wrote:

My PC hard disc crashed last week. So I had to replace my PC. Now when I access my emails I can't see anything from before I set up my new PC.

I use Thunderbird as a desktop client, but the situation is the same even if I log into Virgin webmail.

I thought your experience sounded familiar. Only a couple of weeks ago someone reported exactly the same  thing.  Their PC crashed and they used Thunderbird to manage their emails. When they got up and running again all their old emails had disappeared from Thunderbird and webmail.

See the post here Emails-missing-from-server 

Personally, I am a bit surprised that the PC crash would have caused the emails to be deleted from VM Webmail but the evidence of both cases suggests that PC crash was the cause.

Unfortunately, VM do not keep backups of emails so if the emails are not in webmail I am afraid they have gone for good. However, it would be worth checking the Trash folder if you have not already done that.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@redhat1991 wrote:

I thought your experience sounded familiar. Only a couple of weeks ago someone reported exactly the same  thing.  Their PC crashed and they used Thunderbird to manage their emails. When they got up and running again all their old emails had disappeared from Thunderbird and webmail.

See the post here Emails-missing-from-server 

Personally, I am a bit surprised that the PC crash would have caused the emails to be deleted from VM Webmail but the evidence of both cases suggests that PC crash was the cause.

Unfortunately, VM do not keep backups of emails so if the emails are not in webmail I am afraid they have gone for good. However, it would be worth checking the Trash folder if you have not already done that.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you for that pointer, I hadn't seen that post.

I have found emails going back 9 months, whether 'all' that relates to that period are there is another matter.

Also all my contacts have been deleted but I suppose I can rebuild that from the recovered messages.

Anyone who I've not emailed in 9 months can't be as important as I once thought.

Another reminder I suppose about the need to backup things up 🙄

Same thing has happened to me. Only 3 months of latest emails have been recovered after reinstalling Thunderbird client. Oddly enough, other emails going back between 2 and 7 years are still there 🤷

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@spud1962 wrote:

Only 3 months of latest emails have been recovered after reinstalling Thunderbird client.

Presumably you mean the emails are missing from Thunderbird but have you checked to see if they are they still showing in your VM webmail account , see the login page here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  ?

Coenoby

Welcome back to the forums @spud1962 and thanks for your post.

As @coenoby asked in their post, are the emails showing in your Virgin webmail account?

Regards,

Steven_L