Menu
TonyCotterill
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Recent spam barrages

Hi,

I know this has been addressed elsewhere but I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with email tech and I don't really understand the solution.

I am being daily barraged with McAfee, Norton etc spam rubbish. Of course it all gets deleted but it's darned irritating.

Can anybody give me an idiot's guide to things I might try to ameliorate this, please?

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recent spam barrages

Hi Tony,

Have a look at the filter I described with step by step instructions, here -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Daily-Spam-re-Norton-Mcafee/td-p/4501578/page/7

0 Kudos
TonyCotterill
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks you most kindly.

I've just installed this suggestion. Let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
TonyCotterill
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sadly. This seems to be making no difference.

There are just too many different addresses.

I mean... what is wrong with these spammers? Why do they think quantity is going to make you fall for it?

I think Virgin needs to get on with an overhaul of their spam filter, pretty soon.

Thanks anyway,

Tony

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi TonyCotterill

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community

My apologies for the spam. Please try this link here which should help with this

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
TonyCotterill
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this help, but I've already done all this, I'm afraid.

The incessant McAfee/Norton rubbish has slowed recently but now I'm getting a lot of fake supermarket awards and Bitcoin spam.

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I received a load of fake award e-mails some time ago with a rogue link to 'unsubscribe'. I discovered they all came from .eu addresses so set up a filter to stop them. It took a little while but they did stop.

I also checked that, within web-mail, I had set my preference not to collect e-mail addresses so scam e-mail addresses would not be collected and used to allow future e-mails through from those addresses.

0 Kudos
TonyCotterill
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Superfast. How did you do that? Did you use 'unsubscribe' as your keyword in that filter?
I don't think this is the particular word this time, however.

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Looks like there are many similar complaints and that includes me. I tried filtering for apparent email addresses got some, then I tried filtering based on Mailing list, as many seemed to contain common details. But then they soon started getting through again.

However I have now  succeeded in getting all this crap moved to my Spam folder by replacing the many I had set up with a single filter:-

Sent Date     Lower    04/10/2020

I am going to copy this to others in the same boat, hopefully it will work for you too. ..

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi. It is some time ago when I added the filter, advised by a VIP here.

I logged into webmail, found settings and added the filter for all e-mails from .eu. I have never had valid e-mails from .eu so it made sense for me. I traced my spam to an Amsterdam address so it looked appropriate. If I can find the VIP advice I followed I will add it, if you need more.

I would not think using 'unsubscribe' will do the job but I don't know. Be aware that VM tagged me 'superfast'; I am far from it!

0 Kudos