Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving old Emails from the same date.

I may have missed it:

@Enduser are you using IMAP or POP3 to collect your mail?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 58
Flag for a moderator

All IMAP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 58
Flag for a moderator

@Enduser wrote:

Yes I have read MissPasco's post. But my issue is that I am receiving mails from only the one date in July, They appear in my email client, Thumderbird, already marked as spam, but I have to back into Webmail and again add them to the blacklist.  !

Webmail's Blacklist function will not let you add a previously listed email address which along with your workflow for such messages implies that these are new messages.

FYI: Successful blacklisting message:
2019-10-26-01.jpeg
and unsuccessful:
2019-10-26-02.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enduser,

Thank you for confirming you use IMAP as your email protocol. In this case, I would expect your account to behave in the same way whether you're accessing via webmail or a client.

As per yojimbo's above message, could you please confirm what message you're seeing when you add an address to your blacklist? Have you been into the blacklist itself to confirm that the relevant addresses are present (Menu > Settings > Email > Blacklist)?

Do the emails appear to have been sent on the stated date and delayed, or does it look like they're new emails with the wrong date? Could you also confirm whether these are the same emails over again, or if it's a variety of messages with different content?

Thanks,

Rachael

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 58
Flag for a moderator

When I add the email to the blacklist I am seeing the ' successfully added to the blacklist' or words to that effect, they are never already on the list. They are all spam, and all different. When I get another I shall examine it more closely, and send you the header in a PM, as requested. They seem to have slowed down a bit recently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enduser,

Thank you for your response and the information you've provided. If they're all different, it sounds like they may be coming from slightly different addresses - hence having to add each time. Your email client may already recognise these emails as spam due to their content, rather than being on any blacklist.

Please do fire over a private message with more information when you're able to. We can then take a closer look and liaise with our Internet Security team to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Rachael

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 17 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving old Emails

Hi @Enduser 

I know you've spoken with a few of us in a bid to get to the bottom of this. I've checked the headers for this and it appears that the email is being re-sent from a server hosted on AWS. It appears to be coming from a web domain that doesn't exist, so looks to be an attempt at spam.

I'm just checking this out with the relevant people in the email team. I just wanted to let you know that we're on the case, I'll let you know once we hear more.

I also wanted to thank @ravenstar68 for providing some of his own headers from a similar email and helping to isolate the point where the email is being re-sent.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the update. I am relieved that it's not some 'nastyness' on my computer. I do really try to keep my cyber head down, but this issue really seemed weird to me. I am looking forward to the next installment from either you or one of your colleges. Thanks again.

With best regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if this helps - but I am searching for exactly the same answer. Every day I get 10+ emails that are dated 26 July 2019. They are all spam, all unwanted. I use Outlook for Mac version 16.5 with my ntlworld.com email address. Have you managed to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 58
Flag for a moderator

@Gorsewaygirl 

There is no fault here.

Imagine I resend you a letter that was originally sent to me in July.

This is what the spammers are doing.  The original date on the letter doesn't change, so even though the message was sent today, most mail clients will show the original send date.

There are clues in the header.  It's one reason I keep my blueyonder account running.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos