Menu
maynas
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Receiving email

A couple of days ago my email suddenly stopped receiving email except strangely the odd one in my spam folder. I mess around with Virginmedia help tools and managed to get it working on my iphone and Pc and virginmedia.com but strangely not on my iPad 

this May have been to VM somehow thinking my account had been used for spam and blocking it. 

I have changed my password and eventually I started to  receive some email but not the ones from the days I missed. How do I get those back?

On my settingS I’m not sure if I should turn SSL on ? What is this and what does it do?

thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving email

Hello

If the emails are not showing in the inbox then I am afraid that there is no way of recovering these.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
maynas
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email not being received

Last weekend my ntlworld email account stopped receiving all email, except a couple of pieces of spam, right through the weekend till Monday. I did so work with VM's online tools , changed the email password and got it working on my iPhone(in the ios email function) and Laptop (in Outlook).

However my laptop refuses to believe my new password and when I look online at virginmedia.com I have no ne email that I am seeing on my phone.

I believe VM may have shut me down because my account was compromised and used for Spam, or at least they might have though it was.I an concerned it was hacked and that now someone is seeing all my email and I'm only getting email from services like the Times I'm registered with for regular email news. 

Firstly where are the emails I didn't get for 3 days and how do I access them?

In setting up my ntlworld email on my ipad I'm unsure if my outgoing mail should be 

smtp.ntlworld.com or smtp.virginmedia.com and what my port should be, is 465 OK ?

and should I be using SSL or not (no idea what it is) ?

Help much appreciated

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email not being received

Please refrain from making duplicate posts and not sticking to an existing thread. I have merged your identical posts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
maynas
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'm sorry could not see the 1st post on line so wanted to make sure its there

0 Kudos
maynas
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving email

Seems  a bit drastic on VM but I guess that's there way.

I suppose individuals sending to me would not know I had not received anything?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@maynas wrote:

In setting up my ntlworld email on my ipad I'm unsure if my outgoing mail should be 

smtp.ntlworld.com or smtp.virginmedia.com and what my port should be, is 465 OK ?

Your Outgoing setting should be:

server : smtp.virginmedia.com

Port: 465

type of encrypted connection select SSL / TLS

User Name: Your full email address e.g.Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

For completeness, the incoming settings should be:

server: imap.virginmedia.com

Port: 993

type of encrypted connection select SSL / TLS

User Name: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com

and should I be using SSL or not (no idea what it is) ?

Yes you should, as set out above. SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". Basically it means that your username and password are encrypted when you use your email app to log in to your mail server. Ports 465 and 993 will not work without it. Without SSL your password and username are visible to anyone who is able to eavesdrop  on your web traffic.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
maynas
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have checked and checked spelling, entries, everything and both my iPhone and iPad are showing identical data in settings.  My iPhone happily continues to download email. My iPad is still stuck at the same place. It has a pop up error message which says

Cannot Get Mail

The mail server "imap.virginmedia.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings

This is strange as both setting are the same, with the same passwords , ports etc

Is there something else that can be blocking my iPad?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@maynas wrote:

This is strange as both setting are the same, with the same passwords , ports etc

Is there something else that can be blocking my iPad?

The one thing you have not mentioned is the username, which has to be the full email address not just the part before the @ symbol.

If that the username is correct, I would suggest resetting the password via the 'Forgotten your password?' link on his sign in page. https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  Make sure that you reset the password to the full 10 characters allowed and include numbers as well as letters.

There have been a few strange cases recently where longstanding passwords which VM no longer deems to be strong enough will continue to work on existing devices but are rejected when they appear on a new device.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
maynas
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I did that already (reset password).

email fully typed

0 Kudos