Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re-use an email account?

My Virgin Mail email address is a Secondary Account and was set up as a Pop 3 account. I now want it to be an IMAP account, but as far as I can tell it cannot be changed. (unless anyone knows different)

I am also the Primary Account user, so I can delete that account if required, but does anyone know if it's possible to delete the account, then re-create it using the same username and therefore email address, so I can then set it to be IMAP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Re-use an email account?

All Virginmedia email addresses are capable of being accessed via POP3 or IMAP.  Nothing needs to be changed at the VM end to enable this.

If you already have the account set up in an email client using POP3 you would need to add it in again using the IMAP settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

First of all do not delete the account with Virginmedia as once deleted the email address cannot be reused.

All you would need to do is too change the server details on the email client you are using, but beaware that emails are moved to your email account with POP you may lose emails if you have any.

Which email client are you using ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Thanks for a quick reply.

I've already tried this, and when I enter the same email address, I'm told it is already in use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

I'm using Outlook, but I've tried to change the Server settings to IMAP, and it won't allow me to do it.

My ultimate aim is to stop using Outlook or any client, but I have a lot of emails in folders over the years, so by changing to IMAP, Outlook will sync all the folders to Virgin webmail, and then I can remove Outlook.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@TB9 wrote:

I'm using Outlook, but I've tried to change the Server settings to IMAP, and it won't allow me to do it.

You cannot simply update the POP3  settings in Outlook to the IMAP settings.

Instead, you need to delete the POP3 account in Outlook, Do not delete the address itself on the Virgin Media website - as DJ_Shadow /Mike says if you delete the email address itself you cannot reuse it.

Having deleted the POP3 account in Outlook you can then create a new IMAP account for the same email address.

Google 'convert from POP3 to IMAP' for more info.

Regarding your comment 'My ultimate aim is to stop using Outlook or any client'

Personally I would not advise that. For one thing, the VM webmail service is flaky to say the least. Once you have got an email client running successfully it will be a much more reliable way of managing your emails.IMHO 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have now managed to change my account from POP 3 to IMAP. I found this article on the web, for anyone else who has the same problem:

Change Outlook POP3 account to IMAP 

Thanks Guys

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby

Thanks for the info. I have now managed to do this in much the same way as you said.

I agree with keeping the Client and, for the reasons you say, but I've decided on this approach for the following reason.

I have been with Virgin for many years and when I first set up the account I was assigned a Username/Email which was along the lines like fred.bloggs65@ntworld.com. At that time I was joining for the Broadband/Phone not for email. I was keeping my BT Internet email address. I have since always used Outlook with BT and never had any issues, but as BT like many other ISPs are threatening to remove email accounts if you no longer use their broadband or phone, I decided to switch to Virgin Email about 1 month ago. As all my mail and folder structure is in Outlook I didn't see the point of it all synchronizing to their Server, so set it up as POP3.

Annoyingly Virgin will not let you change the primary email address and I didn't like the original assigned one, so you have to create a seconday account to get the email address you want, but once you start using the secondary account you can't do some of the things that the primary acct holder can. Understandable, but stupid. Much easier to change the primary email address.

Anyway since using Outlook with Virgin mail, every day there is a least 1 email that doesn't download from the Server and when all the other emails have downloaded they cannot be automatically deleted from the Server, because Virgin is not complying with the International Protocol for POP3.

Virgin say it's an Outlook problem. Microsoft say it's a Virgin problem. 'Catch 22'

As several times a day, I have to go the the Webmail, just to check if anything hasn't downloaded, I thought the best way was to convert to IMAP so all the folders are sync'ed to the Server and then stop using the client.

It's now all working fine, but I haven't removed Outlook yet!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virgin will also delete the email account if you leave.

You should use a non ISP email like Gmail or hotmail

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos