Menu
Debbie1969uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld account gone missing?

Same thing has happened to me after being hacked, i contacted Virgin multiple times, said it had been orphaned, but hacker still sending emails to my family and friends as from yesterday so obviously not deleted.  Only one assistant managed to find my account, after many many assistants saying they couldnt find it on the system.  It was connected to my present account via ebilling.  I gave up thinking, if the hacker cant access it now then no problem even tho ive had it for over 20 years. Tomorrow i begin the arduous task of contacting Virginmedia customer services and wasting more hours of my life trying to sort this out. I understand customer services cant wave a magic wand, but they should put us through to someone who can....BTW ive been with COMCAST/NTL/VIRGINMEDIA since they first put cable in my town over 20 years ago.  Ive never not had an account - only changed address's over the years. The police are involved now as hackers are trying to get credit in my name from this email address.  Pull your socks up VM  this is causing heartache to your loyal customers. Action fraud are involved as well

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Debbie1969uk wrote:

said it had been orphaned, but hacker still sending emails to my family and friends as from yesterday so obviously not deleted.

The police are involved now as hackers are trying to get credit in my name from this email address.

As I am sure you are aware there are two issues going on with what you are seeing.

1) The email issue

It certainly seems that your Virgin Media email account was orphaned through not being properly linked to your new account when you moved house and as a result VM initiated the deletion process. However, that deletion process often seems to stall, resulting in the customer losing access to the email account even though the account itself is still live and receiving emails.

That situation is reported quite regularly on this forum. In many cases the customer is aware their old VM email account is still live because it is still forwarding spam to their new address and presumably that  is how you are aware of what is gong on,

In all those cases the VM ForumTeam (VM employees) have always been able to get the email fully deleted and I am sure they can do that for you. 😉

2) The identity theft you refer to with someone trying to get credit in your name.

This is a much bigger worry because I cannot see how they can do that just by knowing your email address. Ok, if your email address was in the format firstname.surname@ntlworld.com then obviously they can work out your name.

However, in order to get credit they would need to know much more about you than just your name. They could have discovered your address from your "My Virgin Media" account of course but as this email address is not your primary address it would not give them access to your "My Virgin Media" account. So where did they get your address from and what else do they know about you?

Clearly this forum is not the place to discuss this side of the story, let alone get it resolved. You were right to contact Action Fraud. As you are obviously now aware, Action Fraud do not investigate cases themselves but they do pass the reports on to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau who are much better resourced to handle these cases than the local police.

However, sadly the reality is that NFIB only start investigating cases once fraud has actually taken place, in other words where people have lost money. However, reports of attempted fraud are used for intelligence gathering purposes.

So you need to take action to protect yourself. If I was in your position I would be contacting my bank to advise them of what is going on because, who knows, in future there could be direct debits being set up on your account.  Also you need to check your credit reports regularly for new entries that you know nothing about. Here's a starting point for that https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report/ 

So long answer short:

Deleting your old email account - no problem, wait for one of the VM Forum Team to contact via this thread and they can get that nuked for you. It is strange but sadly not a surprise that the agents on 150 could not sort that for you. 😕

Identity theft - I'm afraid that could be an ongoing problem even after your email account is deleted. If scammers know enough about you to obtain credit in your name then I am sorry to say it but they can carry on doing that using a different email address.

I sincerely hope you can get this resolved soon.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Debbie1969uk

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see this has happened! 

I am going to send you a PM so we can look into this and get something sorted for you. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen to alert you to a new message.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Debbie1969uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi. 

the account wasn’t orphaned. It is still actively sending emails. Now virgin won’t speak to me as now they have actually found the account under my ex husbands name from 12 years ago. They spoke to him on the phone but as he cannot remember the password they sent him out a reminder but he moved house a long time ago. 

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Debbie1969uk, 

I understand the frustration here however as mentioned via private message, as you are not the account holder and are unable to pass data protection, we're not able to help you on this. 

In terms of the account holder moving, they would need to call us. I understand the email address maybe something that you used, but overall the account holder has the control of the email addresses associated with their account. 

I wish there was something more we could do but given the circumstances we're not able to help I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Debbie1969uk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Kath, I understand what you’re saying but how can yous send a letter to him when you don’t even have his current address and never even asked him for it??  He is being as helpful as he can but I was a nominated person on the account when he had it so why cant I be now? 

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Debbie1969uk, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

We would discuss that with him. If he has moved address then he would need to give this to the team for them to send the letter to him. 

Even as a nominated person, you can only perform any actions if you can pass data protection using the memorable word. As you haven't been able to do this, there isn't anything else we can do. 

Once again, I can only apologise about this. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Debbie1969uk If your ex husband is prepared to help then, provided the email address concerned is a secondary address in his account, he should be able to delete your email address by signing into his My Virgin Media account and clicking on the Manage Accounts tab.  Alternatively he could change the password and let you know what he has changed it to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos