cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virginmedia email account suddenly not working

katastrophe
Tuning in

I'm having the same problem. I've got an ntlworld email address that I've had for years, and I'd just got an important email sent last night when I got authentication errors on both my phone and Outlook.

I can log into my VM account but if I try to access webmail, it says my mailbox is unavailable and to try again in an hour. 

My phone has continued trying all night from the looks of it and it's still getting the authentication error. 

This is my primary email address for all manner of things so I really do need it back ASAP!

Edit to add the message I get on webmail:

Sorry!

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

3 REPLIES 3

katastrophe
Tuning in

Well, after no response on here, I finally sorted it.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I was able to log into Virgin Media, just not my email, and it wasn't syncing through Outlook or through FairEmail on my Android phone. So it wasn't my password.

I decided I would go into my profile and change the password. That went through, but still I couldn't access my emails and Outlook had "issues" trying to use the new password.

So I thought fine, I'll change browser. Went to Chrome, which is my backup (I'm a Vivaldi girl, but that's Chromium based too so I don't know what gives) and has never been to VM's site before. Logged into VM and the entire screen is different. Clearly some update has happened on it. I clicked through and tried the dreaded mailbox... and it loaded.

Hopped back to Vivaldi, logged out of it there, and then it went straight back in like nothing was wrong, with the new layout. Outlook and FairEmail then accepted the password too and it was all fine.

Dare I ask if this entire episode was to do with an upgrade to the VM site once you've logged in, and what it ought to have done is asked you to change your password upon login with the old one?

Either way, my issue is finally sorted. If this helps anyone else out having the same problem, then hooray!

Kat

Vivaldi, and not the usual Chrome or IE or Firefox?  Well that immediately marks you out as someone fairly special!😉

It would seem that the issues are due to VM locking out the underlying login accounts, not necessarily the mailboxes themselves, if they perceive ‘odd traffiic’ happening on them. Changing the password will often ‘kick’ the account back into life, give it a while to propagate through the system and all is good!

Best wishes

John

Hi katastrophe thanks for getting back to us.

Great to hear that you've found the resolution to your issue.  It does sound like it was a password sync issue at first glance, so I am really sorry if that was not the case and took you more time an effort than should have been required.  I can certainly feed this back on your behalf.

Regards

Lee_R