Menu
sduffield
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble accessing email

Hi. I have had an email address/mailbox suddenly stop working. The credentials are correct and has been working up to the weekend when it suddenly stopped. The email address has been working for at least 10 years however it now requests a password which we have entered correctly however it is still requesting the credentials. The email address is [REMOVED] 

Support would you be able to help?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

First and probably the most important question is are you still a VM broadband subscriber, and if so have you had a break in service or moved house since the email address was setup?

0 Kudos
sduffield
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi. We moved address about 18 months ago and have always used the existing email address, however we may have had a new account number set up as we moved town and could not move the telephone number either. Everything appears to have worked until last weekend when it is suddenly stopped.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

if your email address was not transferred in a move and transfer when you move house then the email was attached to the closed account and will have been deleted dueint normal automated maintenance of old accounts.

It maybe possible (if not fully deleted) to move it to your current account but that would mean you lose any address on the new account

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah right, when you moved that would have meant that a new account was setup for you. Now what should have happened was that the email mailboxes were migrated across to the new account - a process called Move and Transfer. Do you know if you were offered this or if you were told this needed to be done?

What may have happened is that this process wasn't followed and hence your old email address(es) have become 'orphaned' and as such are liable to be deleted.

Only VM's IT people would be able to sort this out if this is indeed the case, so what I can do is to escalate it and hopefully one of the forum team will respond fairly quickly and get in touch.

John

0 Kudos
sduffield
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. If you would be able to escalate this and move/transfer the email address to the new account, we can reuse the address. At that time, we were not advised to transfer the email address to the new account.
0 Kudos
sduffield
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Has there been any update on this?

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear of the email account issues sduffield, how long has this been happening for?

You mentioned you moved property 18 months ago, I assume you have had access since that time?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
sduffield
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Yes it has been active and accessible until last Sunday when I stopped receiving emails and the email app insisted I had an incorrect username/password. Unfortunately I cannot change the password on the account as it says the email address is not valid. 

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the additional information sduffield, are you only experiencing the issue via a client (application) can you access it via a desktop at all?

Rob

0 Kudos