Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPAM AND MORE SPAM!

Hi, Sounds like Virginmedia tech staff dont know what they are talking about. When a item comes in that i know is spam, i click on the icon and it goes into the spam folder. Before this i block it on the ipad, then after vetting all my emails, i go onto Virginmedia webmail, first i blacklist it, then click on the spam icon.

Sounds as if i cant do what i want to do, does anybody check these IP addresses and some how block them completely, sounds like the only way to stop them is to change the email address, there must be a way to black an IP.

Thanks

Barry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

To help visualise what  you are trying to achieve with IP Address ranges can you explain why matching a sender's email domain is not sufficient?

Also why you are marking the same email as spam, blacklisting, and blocking on iPad?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Looking in the source of these spam emails, they seem to be bouncing these emails of different IP addresses, so there is no point in blocking the email address, as they will send another the next day, altering the address slightly. I have been receiving emails that are not addressed to me, so they using it to spam me, please have a look, [REMOVED], they are advertising numerous products, i block them but they still keep coming.

on the Ipad it uses blocking, and on virgins server it uses blacklisting the address, i would think the Ipad blocks that emails address, and blacklisting it i would hope that it get reported as a spam supplier. I have tried both ways neither work, so i used both and that does not work either. I have used filtering and blocked part of the email address, and all of it, as you will appreciated i am just a bit p........d off with it all. It seems as spammers can do what they like. Most of the spam comes from Ripe.com database, and it looks like if you are in their database you have no chance. It makes me so angry i just want to send them a mail bomb, but i would be banned if i did, i want to fight them.

It just seems there is a lot of factors to these cases, but why do i receive emails from somebody that are not addressed to me, does someone have to type the address in, or is it done by the server, would be very interested in finding some answers to my problems, but thank you for your time.

Barry

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Bazzamer wrote:

It just seems there is a lot of factors to these cases, but why do i receive emails from somebody that are not addressed to me, does someone have to type the address in, or is it done by the server, would be very interested in finding some answers to my problems, but thank you for your time.

The miscreants are Blind Carbon Copying (BCC) you on the email; unlike Carbon Copying (CC) the receipt list is not exposed to the recipient.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

BTW consider using a non-destructive filter action to valid the the rule works as intended before progressing to the destructive action.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Well i have just been looking back at emails so far as 2010 regarding Spam, as far as i can see it is getting very much worse. I have setup up filters like i was told, but now nearly all my emails go into the Spam folder, so i then have to mark each one Not Spam, it then goes into my inbox, and the same things go on day after day. But today i had one email not going in the spam box. I have checked an rechecked the filters, and none have any words that the filter should block, has like no reply widemail etc with some numbers in, but the filters block it each day. I think we should all just give up, we are not getting the service we pay for. I am so fed up with this, i was advised to put in the filter @.............. and it would get it, it maybe does, but the filters block all my regular stuff.

Maybe somebody should show us all exactly how to filter unwanted email, cause i cant find anything from VM on how to do it, there is a little red icon appeared now on nearly all my mail, like a upside down envelope, try and find out what it is for. All i can say i have been a customer since Ntlworld and over the years its been quite good, back in 2010 we had the same problems, and it is no better now, think i deserve a rebate.

Well if its not sorted out soon, i will be writing to Watchdog, as i am even getting mail not addressed to me, but i think that filter maybe working, as it seems to have stopped. I am certainly not going to text any communication into VM, just a waste of time, PLEASE VM SORT THIS B......... MESS OUT, YOU HAVE SO MANY UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS, IT NEEDS SORTING OUT AS A UPMOST PRIORITY.

Thank you

Bazzamer

PS. I have tried to do this the best i can, but could this have something to do with the Ntlworld email address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Deactivate all filters setup to catch spam and following the advice here Re: Virgin Mail spam filter is useless. Should that not help then consider migrating your email needs over to a email service provider that: (a) is not tied to use of another service; (b) has spam filtering; (c) has security that is equal to or greater than the service it will be used with.

0 Kudos