Menu
Highlighted
Win7ine
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Failing

This issue is still ongoing, last week the Blueyonder IMAP & SMTP server addresses stopped working and I had to manually change Mail settings on several

devices, machines to imap.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com respectively for my original Blueyonder email addresses to function.

The switchover was never advertised or communicated with me, had to find out what was going on the hard way.

Now for the last two days I experience SMTP.virginmedia.com authentication errors but only when login I attempted through a BT issued IP address.

At home, on Virgin cable, there is no such issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AdrianParker
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like a different issue.   I can access my virgin email from my phone ok which is attached to the ID network.

What mail client are you using to connect to smtp.virginmedia.com ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Win7ine
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It has nothing much to do with the mail client (I use Outlook on Win10, Outlook on Android, iOS Mailclient and Win10 Mailclient))

but with the fact that said IP address has been blacklisted on Spamhaus (see www.spamhaus.org) and the Virginmedia SMTP server is looking at that specific list when deciding to reject authenticated login requests from the blacklisted IP address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AdrianParker
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Spamhaus does allow you to de-list an address.. https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/   it's what I did.   so as long as you're not triggering the spam entry again, it should be fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What is the complete error message returned by Virgin Media's SMTP server?

Are you using the following SMTP settings:

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

0 Kudos