Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems receiving emails

I have also experienced long delays - seeing replies to messages from people on gmail 40 minutes before I receive the original message - where the message originates from misp.co.uk.

I also have a colleague in the USA who has been unable to email me at all.  His mail provider is at trkhosting.com and his last failed attempt was on 16 January 2020.

Have the fixes referred to above addressed these issues?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Please don't post in someone else's thread.  Some problems may appear similar but have different causes.  Also the idea is that the original poster in a thread can use the helpful answer button to mark a thread as solved.  But if your problem hasn't been solved then your issue can end up being overlooked.

I've taken the liberty of putting this in it's own thread for your benefit.

It's hard to tell what's happening with failed deliveries if we don't have an error message to go on.  Similarly with late deliveries, it helps to see the headers (after obscuring email addresses) once it gets to your inbox so we can see where exactly the mail was held up.

What was the email domain of the mail that failed to get through at all?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank's for the etiquete advice - I'm more used to general discussion forums.

The one that hasn't arrived is in the seond paragraph of my message - from trkhosting.com, more specifically tk3.trkhosting.com.  That's from the delay report from last Thursday's attempt which I still haven't received.  The sender is in the USA and that's all I have from him.

Regarding the delayed messages that I receive after I see other replies to them, here's the beginning of the header from one of them with the email addresses replaced by ***'s

Received: from venus.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk ([91.146.108.83])
by mx6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net with ESMTP
id r6USiNNWq8knzr6USiPolk; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:39:12 +0100
Received: from [176.24.57.127] (port=50943 helo=[192.168.0.24])
by venus.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128)
(Exim 4.92)
(envelope-from <********>)
id 1ir5NS-0003Jm-N3; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:27:56 +0000
Received: from md7.tb.ukmail.iss.local ([212.54.57.73])
by mc57.tb.ukmail.iss.local with LMTP id AHFPCHvVHF6dVQAAo4iI1A
for <************>; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:39:23 +0100
Received: from smtpclienthelo ([212.54.57.73])
by md7.tb.ukmail.iss.local with LMTP id kOf8A3rVHF5eBQAAKMCudg
; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:39:23 +0100

Let me know if you need any more details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft are a pain.  I'm pretty sure that mails been through Outlook as the headers are out of order - Let me fix that first of all

Received: from md7.tb.ukmail.iss.local ([212.54.57.73])
by mc57.tb.ukmail.iss.local with LMTP id AHFPCHvVHF6dVQAAo4iI1A
for <************>; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:39:23 +0100
Received: from smtpclienthelo ([212.54.57.73])
by md7.tb.ukmail.iss.local with LMTP id kOf8A3rVHF5eBQAAKMCudg
; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:39:23 +0100
Received: from venus.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk ([91.146.108.83])
by mx6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net with ESMTP
id r6USiNNWq8knzr6USiPolk; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:39:12 +0100
Received: from [176.24.57.127] (port=50943 helo=[192.168.0.24])
by venus.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128)
(Exim 4.92)
(envelope-from <********>)
id 1ir5NS-0003Jm-N3; Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:27:56 +0000

P.S.  I still have no idea why Outlook re-orders the headers the way it does, but it is pretty annoying.

I see a 1 hour 22 minute delay between the outbound server and Virgin Media's server, but ideally what we want to see is the error message from Virgin Media's server that caused the delay.  However there is enough information in those headers for Virgin Media's forum team to ask LG to investigate.

With regard to the second thread you posted in, the problem receiving mail was actually caused by a DNS issue in that Virgin's mail server wasn't talking properly to a particular set of authoritative DNS servers, the fix for that particular issue would have been unique to those DNS servers.

When chasing missing mails, the sender should really be getting on to their mail provider, as their logs would provide a wealth of information, not least whether or not the mail was delivered to Virgin Media's mail exchangers, and if not why it was rejected.

IF I knew the domain, I would be able to test if it was caused by a DNS failure but failing that the standard advice would be:

1. Log into Webmail
  2. Check the spam folders
  3. Check the settings in webmail to see if anyone has added any filters to redirect the mail.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

1. You are correct - I am using MS Outlook as my email client
  2. I have no error message from VM's servers to explain the reason for the 1 hour+ delay & neither has the sender.  Neither of us would have been any the wiser if I hadn't received a copied reply to the original message 45 minutes before receiving the original.  Note that this wasn't the only occurrance.  It's happened three times with this sender.
  3. Regarding the missing emails from the USA, I am the recipent & haven't blacklisted, diverted or flagged the sender in any way.  There are no messages in my spam folder - I even keep that clear of clutter amd i would never bin anything from this sender without looking at it first.  As far as I'm concerned the messages (again there was more then one, I have only quoted the last instance) never reached me even if they did get as far as VM's servers.
  4. The missing mails from the USA originate from tk3.trkhosting.com.  Looking at the headers from a mesage successfully delivered to a Microsoft Mail address the trkhosting IP address appears to be [169.46.29.250].  Does that help in identifying the domain that you need to know?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Knowing a server name does not necessarily mean knowing the domain.

I have a single server for personal use, yet I host 3 domains on it.  How many domains do you think a hosting provider like trikhosts uses.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The sender's email address is at hugtherung.com.  Is that what you need to know?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've had a look at the domain and it seems in order.  I''ve also done a check and there's not the DNS problem that ecohosts had.  That's not to say there couldn't be a delay for other reasons.

Ideally the senders host should be looking into what's going on as it's far easier to trace the path of an email from the start than it is to look for a missing email from the destination.  This is because they'll be able to see the send in their logs, and if Virgin Media's system did report an error - the error message also gives the unique SMTP transaction ID on Virgin Media's system.

The Forum Team will take a look but it can take a few days for them to get to a thread.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I'll wait to see what the response is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteveBoyd, 

Thanks for letting us know about the above issues 

I have had a read of the post and can see @ravenstar68 has advised you of what may be causing this. 

I just need to ask if it is just one specific sender that is delayed and does thish happen on webmail as well

Gareth_L

0 Kudos