Menu
Wendy018
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pop Up keeps asking for my password but does not accept it. and I can not send emails out

Hi, I too have this problem and did the 'cmd' thing but no change.

I have since deleted my account from outlook on my laptop and now it won't let me even add it again.. and whilest TRYING to add it, it keeps doing the pop up and I know the password is correct.

Btw I also cannot send ntlworld emails on my iphone either suddenly.

Thanks so much in advance for any help! 🙂  

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pop Up keeps asking for my password but does not accept it. and I can not send emails out

@Wendy018 

Please re-read my post again.  The cmd line isn't meant to change anything.  What it's meant to do is provide information that we can use to help you.

After you enter the command as given in the cmd window you should see one of the following:

< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded

Meaning success - or something along the lines of:

< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Meaning failure.

We need to see that line.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Wendy018
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. 
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Wendy018 

You really do have a problem. The VM305 error code means that VM will not send e-mail from your system via your e-mail program on any device because your IP address at home has been listed as a source of spam. The strong implication is that you have a device on your system that is silently sending out spam, which you will never know about because it happens outside of your e-mail program.

Read this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You have to track down the source of this infection and remove it.

We can give a couple of hints as to the kind of devices and programs that might be causing this. These include jail broken Amazon Firesticks with unauthorised software loaded on them or the free version of Hola VPN. That version isn't a true VPN but more a peer to peer sharing program which is prone to installing malicious software on your system. 

You can check what I am saying about your IP address by going to here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Put your IP address in the top line and look at the results. You will find a listing in SBLCSS. VM check these lists.

Get your IP address by typing IP in a Google search box. 

Listings come and go because spambots fall silent and if no spam is detected from your IP address after 24 hours the listing is removed. But it will come back and you will find yourself at square 1 unless you eliminate the source of the infection.

Standard anti-virus and malware detection programs are not good at finding these spambots. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to ask that @Wendy018 starts a new thread so that we can concentrate on her problem exclusively.  Otherwise we risk losing sight of @EagleEye7 's issue.

It may end up that the two issues have a common cause, but I'd rather not take that risk.

Tim

Edit - @Wendy018 - I will keep an eye out for the new thread.  Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying.  We want to help, but the way the Forum is set up it's best that an individuals problem is dealt with in it's own thread rather than piggybacked on to others.

Tim

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Wendy018 

Please be aware when reading through my post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... that we use telnet to make sure that the Wireshark filter is working.  Please close telnet once you know that you can capture packets using the filter given then stop and restart the capture.

I know my post has a lot of information but just take it a step at a time, and if you have any questions about it, ask in this thread.  We'll get you through it.

Tim

0 Kudos
Wendy018
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much, I will work through it best I can 😉

0 Kudos