Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing emails on ntlworld.com account not working SMTP error

Hello,

After 2 weeks of this I am glad to see someone else has the same issue. I feel like I have been going mad!

It is clearly an ISP issue to me, I have my SMTP email account on my mobile phone, if I send an email on the WIFI I get the 550 message 'marked as SPAM'.

If I move away from the WIFI (i.e. I am using my 4g network) then low and behold...it sends.

Do we have a fix for this issue yet? it seems pretty common.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We've separated this as your error number is not the same as the other fella's.

If sending works on wifi, but not on your home network, you probably have your IP address blacklisted.  Read this sticky post and let us know if you need help.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/td-p/3169662/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Emails bounce back as 'SPAM' (550 message)

Hello,

The first step for me on this board is to point out the terrible quality provided by Virgin from their call centre. They do not care about service, and were very quick to transfer me to the department for cancelling all of my virgin services.

The issue I am having is that we have a domain hosted by the company 'Heart Internet', we have a small business which we run from home and we require this service. Our home is using Virgin Media.

Recently I am unable to send emails, I am perfectly able to receive emails...but not send them. Here is the message I receive when it comes back...

///////////////////////////

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'Recipeints name here' on 27/09/2019 10:18

550 Rejected as spam, please contact support

'Recipeints name here' on 27/09/2019 10:18

550 Rejected as spam, please contact support

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

///////////////////////////

I am able to send emails using my @hotmail accounts but anything from my @Steadfast account bounces back (90% of the time, some emails will send sometimes)

I have spent two weeks trying to fix this with Heart, with Microsoft, and in a primitive way, Virgin.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

As further information, I am able to send emails from my phone when on my 4g connection, but once I am using the WIFI (and therefore Virgin) the emails are blocked!

Thanks to anyone that can end my misery,

Richard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your help with this issue.

I am sorry to say that I checked the IP against SpamHaus and I am not blacklisted anywhere 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well before I go into anything else let me say that after looking at Heart Internet's email settings page - I personally woudn't touch the company with a 10 foot barge pole.

Any company that is still using Ports 110, 143, and 25 unencrypted as the recommended email port settings obviously does not care about your security.

I should add that I'm not a Virgin Media employee - this is a personal opinion based on what I know of email - which is a lot.

If you're getting an error message from a mail providers server - then your first port of call is that provider itself.  It doesn't matter who's network you are on.

Just because you can't send an email via a third party server when on a Virgin Media IP address, it doesn't make it Virgin Media's responsibility.

I'll give you an example in reverse.  Several years ago, Virgin Media tweaked the security settings on their own email servers and in the process actually blocked the sending of virgin media mail from mobile networks.

Were I to follow your example I would have chased my mobile provider for a resolution, after all email worked when I was on my Virgin Media wifi, but failed to send when I was on 3g as it was then.

However I knew that the error came from Virgin Media's own email servers.  So I chased them.

Were I in your situation - I would be chasing Heart Internet to ask why they were blocking mail as spam when you are sending from your Virgin Media IP address.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks