cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need help accessing my Virgin Media account

keithio
Joining in

Hi All, sorry for hijacking the post (a little) but i'm having a similar issue with email passwords.  I'm using a Win 11PC accessing web mail and i have a few email accounts set up for various reasons.  Webmail moans at me stating 'The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them'; i haven't changed PWs recently!  Two of four accounts are affected; one a blueyonder.co.uk and one a virginmedia.com.  These two 'problem' accounts both seem ok when i use Outlook 365; I haven't changed the PWs in Outlook, go figure.  I have set up an App PW but that doesn't work in my webmail settings :-S  any ideas, anyone, please?

14 REPLIES 14

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, keithio.
Thanks for posting and sorry to hear of the email account and login issues. 
Glad to see how we can best help with this.

Here you'll find the most up-to-date info we have on email account management, there you'll be able to view our steps on how to reset a password and the correct email settings for client software and apps etc.

Please, see if you can reset the password you want following these steps.
We'll be here to support you further where needed, based on your feedback so let us know how this goes.
Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri, thanks for the quick response.  I've been here and got the t-shirt as they say.  I have a PW management system in place so i'm sure that the PWs are (or were) ok, but they no longer seem to work on VM webmail, but do in Outlook 365; strange, but true.  I'm heading towards resetting everything and starting from scratch; without losing my email history that is.  One more thing that may be of interest, for some reason my Outlook 365 searches will only retrieve local content which seems to suggest that something is ain't right there either....

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for this reply and the further info shared, just to confirm this have you tried to see if a password reset restores the above issues?
If so, what's the outcome and is there an error message coming up?

This shouldn't impact your email history by the way, please give us your feedback when you can.
Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

keithio
Joining in

Any update on this Matt?  it's still not working for me and it's driving me nuts......

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@keithio 

I have moved your post  to this thread because:

1. it seems to be the one where you explain exactly what problem you are having
  2.  @Adri_G is already trying to help you on this thread.

Did you follow the suggestion Adri made and tried to see if a password reset helped?

The VM servers can get out of sync when it comes to passwords which can lead to a password being accepted by webmail but rejected by email apps such as Outlook.

Finally, do you know that VM now requires you to generate a mail app password to use in the settings of your email apps? So now you have to use the "normal" password to access an email account via webmail but you have to use the mail app password in your Outlook settings?

So that could be a factor at play here as well.

To generate a mail app password:

Sign in to the My Virgin Media account for that email address from here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media 
a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

Also , as Adri says if none of this helps it would be useful to see the exact  error messages you are getting.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

keithio
Joining in

Hi Adri, sorry for not responding sooner but have been hospitalised...all better now....

I went through the instructions and most of it worked, however, i now seem to have one email account (my main one which is an @blueyonder.co.uk account) which doesn't want to play.  I seem to have got myself stuck in a loop.  I changed my VM login email to a non-VM one (no idea why we should need to do this, but hey, i had a gmail account to use, so did) but i took ill before i could verify the gmail account.  Now, when i try to do anything it tells me to change my PW, but to change things i need to verify my gmail account, but the link in my gmail is no longer valid, and i can't see how get a new link sent. So i don't see any way out of this loop, but really do need access to that BY account ASAP.

Any ideas/help please?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@keithio wrote:

i can't see how get a new link sent. So i don't see any way out of this loop, but really do need access to that BY account ASAP.

Any ideas/help please?

I have not had that experience myself but there have been posts on here where people have said they have discovered a work around to get VM to send a new verification email to your non VM email account.

Follow these steps:

• Try submitting a different sign in Email Address for a non existent email account, instead of your Gmail address, for example, test@example.com 
  • There is no server running for that message to be delivered to so the mail delivery will fail and and a non delivery email returned to sender.
  • Then immediately resubmit the original sign in email address (your Gmail address)  and this time keep the page open until you receive the verification link email.

Try that and see if that works for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks for staying with me here Coenoby...i tried what you suggested but get the follwoing message when i do that 'You've recently requested to change the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media. Please check your emails and verify this change before making further account changes.'

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@keithio wrote:

"You've recently requested to change the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media. Please check your emails and verify this change before making further account changes.'

So, just to confirm, did you get that error message after going through this route in your My Virgin Media account?

• Going to Account settings then the Account details page.
  • Then scrolling down to the Sign in details box.
  • Then clicking on Edit to the right hand side of the email address?

If not, then try that route.

Coenoby