Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need @blueyonder.co.uk email account restored or set as an alias.

Good afternoon

I seem to be in a FAR worse situation than the OP on this thread - please let me explain and then I hope you can help me:

We have been with VM since it took over the cable franchise for this area (Area 14) and my Primary/billing a/c was always an @blueyonder.co.uk address (will supply details in a reply to a PM if that is sent to me), and from that a/c I also set up an @virginmedia.com a/c for myself and both @blueyonder.co.uk & @virginmedia a/cs for my wife.

Everything was "fine" until a few days ago (can't be sure exactly when as it might have been a couple of weeks before I realised that something appeared to be going wrong) when emails to my blueyonder account started appearing immediately in my virginmedia a/c inboxes, and also when I tried to send email from another PC, using my blueyonder a/c address, to my virginmedia a/c then they either appeared there for a couple of minutes but then "disappeared", or didn't even arrive there at all!

So, yesterday, and again today, I tried to log in to what I still believe is my Primary @blueyonder a/c, but things "went wrong" on both occasions, i.e.:

- when I entered that email address and the relevant p/w in the dialogue boxes, I got "green ticks" agains each line before I clicked the Sign In box

- However, the next screen that came up informed me that I had entered the wrong usename or password (which I most definitely HAD NOT), and I then tried to use the Forgottten password link - only to be told that it was "Unable to find your username" and for me to "Please enter a valid email address" and thus my Primary a/c @blueyonder.co.uk email address was not being recognized!!!!

-  I then logged into my virginmedia a/c, only to be told that this a Secondary a/c and as such I have no access to the a/c billing details, nor to any of the other a/cs that I had previously set up for myself and my wife because I am not the primary a/c holder!

- I then phoned 150, and finally (10 min wait) finally got through to "Technical Support" and spoke to a lady with an Asian accent, to whom I explained the history and what appear to have happened recently an/or be going wrong. After that she said that my blueyonder a/c was not "registered" and that I would have to reregister it (at this point I was "fuming" - but not actually swearing!).

- She then sent "Let's get you account setup" emails to both (at my request) the blueyonder and the virginmedia a/cs - surprisingly the one to the blueyonder a/c arrrived first (!) and I followed the My Virgin Media link in that to the website, and then clicked the "Register" link.

- After that I had to enter my the Surname for the Account + the Area Number and the A/C number - all of which were then accepted, but then gave me no way of reregistering my Primary a/c @blueyonder address.

In other words, I am screwed because I no longer have any way of accessing the blueyonder a/c which must still be my Primary a/c.

Sorry for the long story - but I thought it best to explain everything I already know to begin with, and so PLEASE CAN YOU HELP resolve this MAJOR issue?

Thanks in  advance.

John

PS: That "Technical Support" was about as much use as a chocolate teapot! 😞

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi jeallen01

Sorry to read above and thank you for bringing this to our attention

If I send you a private message to pass security, I can then have a look at what we need to do to get you back up again 

Gareth_L

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Gareth

Many thanks - please send the PM!

John
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Gareth

Further update to my very last PM a few minutes ago: I then tried to use the Reset Password route, but still getting a message that the @blueyonder.co.uk username is not recognised.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

FWIW - I don't think this is a fault.  Although Virgin Media do need help resolve what's happened.  I've seen a few of these posts and I've been able to recreate the issue with one of my email accounts.  - in my case I fixed the issue as well.

The account is not likely to have been deleted given what you've said.  It's important to understand that while the default username for a Virgin Media (and the legacy addresses) is the accounts email address, this can be changed in My Virginmedia to a third party email address.  If I do this then - in order to log in I use the new username to log in to the account.

Thus I can end up using the address an.address@öutlook.com to log in to my.address@virginmedia.com

If I forget the password for the account then to get back in I would have to use an.address@outlook.com as the username on the Forgotten Password screen.  If I use the actual email address as the username I get the following:

Unable.PNG

In my case I've reset the change so that the username is once more my Virgin Media email address:

I would say that if @jeallen01  hasn't changed his username, then someone else has.  Rather than this being a fault on Virgin Media's part, we could be looking at a security issue.

@Gareth_L If you have any questions drop me a PM

Tim

BTW With regards to the tick when entering the username and password - it doesn't mean that they are correct, it just means that they appear to be using the correct format.

If you stop and think about it you'll realise why.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68

Many thanks for your "intervention" and information - although I am not sure that I fully understand the underlying "implications" of what you wrote :(.

However, I do tend to agree with your suggestion that the existing Prime a/c "security" has been compromised at some point (for reasons that I won't go into here because I don't really understand what may have happened - except that my "Prime a/c" email address certainly seems to have been spoofed/hacked, but not sure which as I have been getting many phishing emails to that, and apparently sent from that, address!).

Via PM I have already asked Gareth to move my Prime a/c to another @virginmedia.com address, but he won't be able to do that until he comes back on 3rd Jan after a N/Y holiday break. When that has been done, I will gradually "retire" the compromised @blueyonder contact address as I replace it with "a.n.other" one .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The main implication is that you are effectively locked out of your Virgin Media l account until Virgin Media's security or email teams can:

1.  Lock the account.
2.  Restore the username.
3.  Reset your password so you can change it prior to unlocking the account (and make sure you do change it).

I'd also consider any online account that is linked to that email address is effectively at risk as well.  While you may be able to use IMAP/POP3 clients still, as the username change does not affect these, there is a lot a hacker can do to hide their tracks, while they are working, such as adding filters to redirect mail (we've seen evidence of this in users posts before now).

BTW the way Virgin Media's setup works is this.

You're given the main email address by Virgin Media.  This cannot be changed..  Virgin Media then give you the ability to create/delete reset the passwords for all the secondary accounts.

Primary accounts remain bound to your account and cannot be deleted or converted to secondary accounts.
Secondary accounts cannot be promoted to primary accounts.

Besides, you don't want to delete the primary account, you need to keep it to track and undo any damage done 😞  Remember if you delete the account, you could end up losing access to many of your other online accounts.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L & @ravenstar68

Good morning, and, firstly, I tried to change my email address for this forum a few minutes ago, but screwed that up (I think the verification request emails disappeared into a SPAM folder, and so I didn't reply to them to confirm the new address!) and therefore I have created a new a/c with a "new" forum name and ANOTHER email address!! :(. Nevertherless, it IS the same actual "me"! 😄

Now, @ravenstar68

Thanks for your additional interesting info late last evening.

However, I believe that the Primary Account CAN be changed, by Virginmedia, because:
- That's EXACTLY what happened a few years ago when they changed it from my original blueyonder one to the current blueyonder one - without telling ME! Took me a long time to find that out, and I only did find out (IIRC) when I tried to access the original one in order to (I think) create a new address for my wife.

- During my PM discussions with Gareth, he appeared to confirm that the Primary a/c could be moved to one of the Secondary accounts (and thus another of my VM email addresses) but that he would have to formally request that change (from whomsoever??). However, we decided to delay that request until he returns from his New Year break as I want to be "present and watching" when that happens in order to make sure it is "what I need" and that I understand what is going on (Not like the first change as mentioned above!)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

PS: Having now found the verification email for the original change of email address, I have now completed that verification, and so further posts (hopefully there will not be too many!) should thus be under my "original" forum name!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am so sick and tired of wasting my time trying to help people only to have it pushed back in my face, claiming I'm either a Virgin Media Sycophant, or that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've been posting on these boards for years and working with the Forum Team and other VIP's (or Superusers as we used to be called)  One of our number is a Virgin Media Employee who posts on here in his own time and has explained the email system to us clearly, as did the old Forum Team in Swansea.

Unless Virgin Media have changed their systems and not told us ( @Kev_B can you put the record straight one way or another), VM's system works EXACTLY as I have stated.  We have had people for example wanting to separate out a secondary account and make it the primary on a new account, and have been told that this is not possible.

We've seen phone support "link" an old email account to a new account by changing the username, and completely messing everything up in the process - as this does not work the way they seem to think it does.  It cheeses me off that phone support regularly misinform customers and also fob them off as well.  I've lost count of the number of users who have been told that virgin.net email addresses or handled by TalkTalk, or that their problem is caused by a known fault on the email servers when in fact it's not.

I'm not privvy to the PM discussion between you and Gareth_L and I don't want to disparage him as he is possibly one of the better agents when it comes to dealing with email problems, he's not perfect but he's always improving his knowledge.  I can assure you that what I've said is correct.  You CANNOT promote a secondary email address to the primary account.

Tim