Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locked out of email (again!)

Same here. I am a key NHS worker trying to work from home. I desperately need to access this account.

My access was denied early Tuesday morning. I since found out that Virgin locked my account, due to the spamming issue mentioned by Charlie G60, and notified me of this by email, but as I couldn't access my email due to the fact that they'd locked it I was unaware of this fact. I now cannot access it at all, despite numerous phone calls which all give me different reasons as to why it's unavailable.

1. Firstly I was told (before finding out about the suspicious activity email) that they would reset my account and was given a new password and that it would be available after 24 hours. I asked at this point if there had been anything suspicious on my account (it's happened to me before) and was told "no".

2. After finding out about the email and ringing back I was told that it was most probably my browser settings/cookies etc that could be preventing me from logging in and that they would reset my password again and suggested I try a different browser. I downloaded a browser I've never used before but still no access.

3. Rang again this morning (well after the 24 hour waiting period). I'm now told there is a known issue with access to emails and need to wait 24 to 48 hours to see if this is the cause - which may be totally unrelated and my issue will still be unresolved.

I need to check that the suspicious activity alert has not compromised anything in my email account in any way, but cannot log-in to check this out. My personal data may be at risk. I also need to be able to work. Please can Virgin at least identify what the issue is so that it can be rectified as soon as possible. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi - best not to piggy-back on another thread.

We understand that there may be more complex issues going on at the moment with VM web mail. But in view of your status I'll escalate this thread for the VM Forum Team to look at as quickly as they can. Watch this space

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Any help would be most appreciated.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jackiebrooke,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your email looked into, I can understand your frustration with this and I do apologise that its happened again. So from what you've said you have been locked out of your email due to a suspicious mail flag, is that correct? 

If you could tell me exactly what it says on the message about this I can get this flagged with the IT team who can have a look into it. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

As I can't now access my emails to read it I will have to give you as much information as I can remember.

Apparently the email came through at 5.47 am on Tuesday morning telling me that as my account appeared to have been used to create multiple spam emails it was being locked. I was not aware of this email when I tried to log in around 6 am that morning (for work).

I haven't been able to log in on my PC, laptop, or phone (whole email account on my phone is now uninstalled and I cannot re-install it - error message "could not open connection to the server"). As I wasn't aware of why I couldn't log in I rang Virgin to get the fault rectified and was given response number 1 in my original post (and told there had been no suspicious activity on the account).

When my husband came home he still had access to emails on his phone which was when I read the Virgin email sent through at 5.47 am reporting the suspicious activity. I didn't fully understand what the problem was but it seems to be related to spamming emails which I think had been generated using my email account. It gave me advice on steps to take i.e. running malware checks and being alert to phishing emails. It advised me to check any email activity that had occurred after the suspicious activity had been identified but I cannot do this if I can't log in. I am very worried about my data being compromised. This happened to me previously and one of my accounts was compromised and money taken. 

I rang back after discovering this and was given response number 2.

Rang again this morning after the advice for number 2 didn't work to be told there was a known email fault and that I needed to wait 24 to 48 hours for this to be resolved but I am now very anxious that anyone who may have had access to my data could be causing me any number of problems (and this has already been available to them since Tuesday morning).

I have also had to come into the office to work today as I have no access to my emails. We are supposed to be working from home due to COVID-19. 

Please could you try and help me to get  this sorted. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for giving me all that information, I understand your concern with this and I really do apologise that its caused so much stress. 

What I think you should do next is change your passwords on your other accounts that have the same password as your email, this way if it has been compromised your other accounts will be safe. 

I'm also going to send you a PM now so we can find your service account and get an IT ticket raised, they can look into this and unlock your email for you. This usually takes between 3 - 5 working days. 

I'll send this to you now.

Speak soon.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM, I was able to raise the IT ticket which I have added in the notes of your account, so if you speak to another agent they will be able to pick it up and give you an update 🙂

I really hope this is sorted out for you soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos