Menu
slimmy50
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep getting "Your e-mail server rejected your login, using outlook version 13" on windows

Hi all sorry for jumping on this post, i too have issues with this, I can't for the life of me use Outlook 2019, I use 3 email addresses, gmail, hotmail and ntl (require all 3) they all load into Outlook fine, hotmail and gmail are fine -  it is just my provider (virginmedia.com) SMTP that won't allow email out have used the the spamhaus tool, putting my ip in i get both css and xbl as listed, i really don't know what to do from here and have been on this for days pulling my hair out, i have made two calls to virgin, the first call was an hour and a half (Sunday) with no fix and (Monday) today was a further 40 mins explaining, i have been re-assured i am getting a call from a more knowledgable tech guy within 48 hours to try and resolve but don't hold my breath. I have reverted my firestick back to wifi as i was hard wired for stream purposes hoping this is potentially a contributor to this probem. Any help, supprt, infomation or other would be absolutely fully appreciated,

Kind Regards

Slimmy50

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep getting "Your e-mail server rejected your login, using outlook version 13" on windows

The CSS listing is the key piece of information here.  It indicates that you have a spambot some where on your network that is periodically sending out spam.

There is a post here with some relevant help: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You mention a firestick used for streaming. If the streaming app allows you to watch streams not normally available in the UK then it is quite likely that this is the root of the spambot.  A factory reset of the firestick may well clear the issue.  It takes at least 24 hours after the last detected spam event for spamhaus to remove your external IP address from the CSS list.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
slimmy50
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated, ok here's what i did, i did an online search for "What is my I.P. it came back with 81.***.**.*** and this is the IP I used to do the spamhaus search which gave me both CSS and XBL as listed.  However....if i go to settings (In my Windows 10) then Network & Internet, Properties scroll to bottom, it gives an IPv4 address of 192.***.*.**

If i use this as a search on spamhaus it comes back 192.***.*.** is not listed Have i done this correct? We only use legit apps on our Firestick, no VPN, We use Plex, Netflix etc.

If this is correct i still have the same issue and it can't surely be that we have spambot?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The 192. IP address is your internal network address not the external one.  Enter 'what is my IP address' without the quote marks into your favourite search engine to check.

If the resulting IP address appears on the Spamhaus CSS or xbl blacklist then there is a spambot on the network using that IP address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
slimmy50
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham_A Thanks for your reply, really good of you, i think for what it's worth, i'm going to leave this, just a bit too much for me, i have perhaps 15 sub folders with emails in as previous installs i have had IMAP populatng all the folders each time i used an email client such as outlook - Painful i know, but i think i will go through each individual email and their relevant sites to which i'm registered to and update my contact details to an alternative email address, it's just ludicrous! I am genuinely confused as to what the issue is, but again Spamhaus came back with both CSS and XBL as listed?? Genuinely considering moving on from Virgin if i'm honest, Constant updates on router, poor support via telephone, just expected a little more support from them considering i have used them for nearly 20 years!

To claify all settings are spot on in Outlook and two other successful email addresses up and running in it, i understand Virgin is the provider here what i don't understand is one of the other 2 emails set is s also IMAP and this sets up Faultlessly, i know there's an alternative by using virgin's webmail but this isn't always practical, the frustrating thing is my son is at Uni and having to study online because of the current situation, and my daughter is schooling online both through the day, the router does turn green and either flashes or reboots at all sorts of wierd and wonderful times of the day becomming frustrating for all - i just don't think i'm geared up for anmore hassle with this issue if i'm honest, really appreciate your time and input

Kindest Regards 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Obviously your call at the end of the day. But, the spambot isn't working through any email client such as MS Outlook or any other email client. It is operating through a compromised device, such as a firestick with side loaded streaming apps installed.

Virgin Media has adopted a controversial policy of using a spamhaus CSS listing to block outgoing emails via their SMTP servers. 

If you don't address the source of the spambot and eradicate it from your network then sadly your will continue to be a part of the connected network that pushes out spam to the world at large.

slimmy50
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for geting back, appreciate your helpful information.

0 Kudos