Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Junk

As a non-expert, servers are a complete mystery to me. I received a bona fide e-mail from a charity correctly sent to my Inbox; but when I tried to forward it to my daughter, the Virgin server refused to send it because it reckoned it contained spam. If it had spam when it arrived, I would have thought it would have gone into the SPAM box in the first place.

I suppose the server could imagine the e-mail picked up spam content from my computer but I think that unlikely. I suppose I could log into webmail and try forwarding the charity e-mail from there to see if Virgin's 'secure' environment makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

PS: I tried to forward my genuine charity e-mail from within Webmail and it was again blocked by the Virgin server as an e-mail containing SPAM. It does not contain SPAM. It's another mystery!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

@ahrbee wrote:

If it had spam when it arrived, I would have thought it would have gone into the SPAM box in the first place.

I suppose the server could imagine the e-mail picked up spam content from my computer but I think that unlikely. I suppose I could log into webmail and try forwarding the charity e-mail from there to see if Virgin's 'secure' environment makes a difference.

Many people have experienced the same issue and been as baffled as you.

The reason is that Virgin Media's outgoing spam filters are more sensitive than the filters they apply to incoming emails. (BTW, The spam filters are applied to VM email sent from the VM website as well as from an email client or app).

Yes, I know it makes no sense.😮

The most likely culprit is a URL link in the original email from the charity. Try sending a reply again but exclude the web address from the email that you send or try replying again but remove the original email from your reply.

This kind of problem usually arises because email with that URL in it has been marked a spam by others. These false positives often get removed form the filters quite quickly. (As far as I am aware, VM do not manage the filters, they simply use a third party product.)

In the error message you should see  "5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603") or "(554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content" followed by "id" and then a long string of letters and numbers.

If the problem persists post that error message with the full id reference here because the VM security team can then identify the email and discover exactly what is causing the message to be wrongly identified as Spam.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer