cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issue with Email across Accounts

bertbalsdon
Tuning in

I'm unable to send or receive emails although I can get into my email account. The last email I received was over a month  ago. I have sent test messages out but they arrive to the person with a different name but my email address. If they reply to this email I don't receive it. Virgin have said it is my password but I have reset this many times they say all is fine. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bertbalsdon wrote:

I'm unable to send or receive emails although I can get into my email account. The last email I received was over a month  ago. I have sent test messages out but they arrive to the person with a different name but my email address. If they reply to this email I don't receive it. Virgin have said it is my password but I have reset this many times they say all is fine. Please help.

That sounds very worrying because it all suggests that your email account has been hacked. Here is why I think that is the case:

1) You are not receiving emails.

That suggests the hacker has set up filter rules in your VM Webmail account to either delete incoming emails or redirect them to another email account they control.

2) The display name in emails you send out show a different name to yours.

That suggests that the hacker has amended the display name in your webmail account to make emails they send out from your account appear to come from someone-else. That means the hacker is using your email account for their own, probably illegal, purposes.

What do you need to do?

The main thing is that you have been able to reset the password a number of times so hopefully the hacker no longer has access to your email account.

However to recover the account you need to:

1) Check the filter rules in your web account.

To do that, sign into the account from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Then follow the steps  1 to 4 below

filter rules steps 2.png

Delete any filter rules that you did not set up yourself and check that no Auto Forward has been set or Blacklist set up. (You will see those two options in the menu list on the left.)

That should mean new emails sent to your email address will appear in your inbox.

2) Check and correct the display name in the account

To do that, click on the Email menu item (step 3 in the image above) and then click on Edit as below

email settings.png

That will open up this window.

email display name.png

In "Your name" you should see the name that is currently displaying when you send an email, so just update that to the name you want displayed. That means that emails sent from your account will display your name.

To return to your Inbox just click on "Email" that  appears top left in the black header line.

To further protect your account I would suggest that you need to sign into your My Virgin Media Account, that's the one where you can view your VM bills and package details. Then go to "My Profile" and change your security question. That will further hinder the hacker if they try to regain access to your email account

You should also check any online accounts that are linked to your VM email address just to ensure that hacker has not compromised those accounts as well. For example, made purchases on your Amazon account or gained access to your Facebook account. I am just giving those as examples, if you do not have accounts with either of them check any that you do have.

I hope that all makes sense and enables you do get things sorted.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bertbalsdon wrote:

That sounds very worrying because it all suggests that your email account has been hacked. Here is why I think that is the case:

1) You are not receiving emails.

That suggests the hacker has set up filter rules in your VM Webmail account to either delete incoming emails or redirect them to another email account they control.

2) The display name in emails you send out show a different name to yours.

That suggests that the hacker has amended the display name in your webmail account to make emails they send out from your account appear to come from someone-else. That means the hacker is using your email account for their own, probably illegal, purposes.

What do you need to do?

The main thing is that you have been able to reset the password a number of times so hopefully the hacker no longer has access to your email account.

However to recover the account you need to:

1) Check the filter rules in your web account.

To do that, sign into the account from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Then follow the steps  1 to 4 below

filter rules steps 2.png

Delete any filter rules that you did not set up yourself and check that no Auto Forward has been set or Blacklist set up. (You will see those two options in the menu list on the left.)

That should mean new emails sent to your email address will appear in your inbox.

2) Check and correct the display name in the account

To do that, click on the Email menu item (step 3 in the image above) and then click on Edit as below

email settings.png

That will open up this window.

email display name.png

In "Your name" you should see the name that is currently displaying when you send an email, so just update that to the name you want displayed. That means that emails sent from your account will display your name.

To return to your Inbox just click on "Email" that  appears top left in the black header line.

To further protect your account I would suggest that you need to sign into your My Virgin Media Account, that's the one where you can view your VM bills and package details. Then go to "My Profile" and change your security question. That will further hinder the hacker if they try to regain access to your email account

You should also check any online accounts that are linked to your VM email address just to ensure that hacker has not compromised those accounts as well. For example, made purchases on your Amazon account or gained access to your Facebook account. I am just giving those as examples, if you do not have accounts with either of them check any that you do have.

I hope that all makes sense and enables you do get things sorted.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @bertbalsdon,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your mailbox, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details over via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming that @bertbalsdon, I have now logged this with our support team to be looked into further.

I will be in touch with you as soon as I have any further updates. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hey @bertbalsdon,

I believe that the team have been in touch and resolved these issues for you, is that correct and everything working as it should now?

Regards,

Steven_L

All sorted thanks for your help.

Happy to hear that @bertbalsdon,

As always, if you have any more queries, please give us a shout and we'll help you right away.

Thank you.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs