cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hacked email

JonathanDevon
Joining in

Hi, I am posting on behalf of my not to tech savvy wife, who has had her email account hacked and we have been locked out. I have DONE all the recovery methods to no avail and have spoken to Mumbai who said they would contact us and HAVE NOT!!   My wife is extremely stressed over this as her Facebook, WhatsApp, Linked in and Twitter accounts are ALL affected and we can solve NOTHING and not able to talk to a HUMAN ! Please advise oh great fonts of Tinternet knowledge.  Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JonathanDevon  Gareth was referring to setting up a community account on this forum, however you have since posted that the account holder is actually an uncle, so they would need to set up a community account in order for this to be investigated further.

In another post you say you don't use an app to access the email account but then say you use Apple Mail.  Apple Mail is an email app and therefore will need to use a generated app password in the incoming and outgoing server password fields in order to access the email account.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Edit to add.  If you want the email address concerned to be deleted then you need to contact your Uncle who is the account holder.  He should be able to delete the account by logging into his primary account and going to account settings account details manage other My Virgin Media accounts and click on delete next to the relevant account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello JonathanDevon.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our community.

Can we ask if the email address that has been hacked is the primary email address on your wife's account?

Or Is this a secondary email address that is linked to your account.

If you are the account holder we can take a look.

If your wife is the account holder, She will need to set up her own Forum account and ask the question on here.

Hope that makes sense.

Gareth_L

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

Sadly when you change your password it does not lock out the hackers because there are now TWO passwords.

So Log into her account https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media (User her email address and her password).

Once Logged in (you may need to reset it) then go into "Account Settings" then "Account Details" and that page should let you change/set your normal password, on that page at the bottom is hopefully a section that says "Virgin Media Mail" with a Manage button, click it - If it doesn't show hit refresh - it will eventually show.  Click the "Generate App Password" and this will lock out the hackers.

https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/mail-settings may take you to the email settings page (after your logged in as her) if you can't find it in the menu.

Once that's done I would look for another email provider.  Also try to increase security settings on those other sites, I know Facebook has just dumbed their security to not use Authenticator so do not add that. (it lets you set it up but then doesn't want you logging in with it because it's no longer supported).  Not sure about the other sites.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello JonathanDevon.

If you wife needs to set up an account to get this looked into, we will be happy to help.

Gareth_L

Gareth, she HAS an account that has been hacked and she is locked out and cant change ANY password or info on the account. We reported it to Virgin Media and a long phone call to India  (Call centre) , who said they would reply after escalating the issue , but we have heard ZERO from them. She is extremely disturbed by all of this and sits at her computer shaking!! This is no jole for her as NO ONE seems to take this issue seriously. All she wants to do is DELETE the account. but it is connected to Facebook, What'sApp, Twitter and Linkedin!

I think the last thing she wants to do is open another account.  I can get into her account on Web mail but that is it!   We have done ALL the recommended fixes but the account is locking us out!

Please advise. J.   ( I have a virgin account if that helps!)

Gareth, out emails are hosted by my wifes Uncle VM account. .

Many thanks for the advice. We have reset the APP password, but are not using an APP?? We only use AppleMail on Apple devices.  We would like to delete the account but cant!  I can access her mails vie Web Mail but thats it. NOTHING will let us delete or change the password.  Try to change the password 7 times and it says "Sorry you can't use that password" ... Grrrrrr!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JonathanDevon  Gareth was referring to setting up a community account on this forum, however you have since posted that the account holder is actually an uncle, so they would need to set up a community account in order for this to be investigated further.

In another post you say you don't use an app to access the email account but then say you use Apple Mail.  Apple Mail is an email app and therefore will need to use a generated app password in the incoming and outgoing server password fields in order to access the email account.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Edit to add.  If you want the email address concerned to be deleted then you need to contact your Uncle who is the account holder.  He should be able to delete the account by logging into his primary account and going to account settings account details manage other My Virgin Media accounts and click on delete next to the relevant account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham, OK, Got the App thing. I assumed an APP was only on Mobile devices not desk/lap tops! So, I change the App password and it still does not log on. So If I can change that password, the Hacker can also!! So  they generate an new one all the time and I don't know it so we play a silly game of cat and mouse?

I will keep trying. The other issue regarding deleting the account is that we HAVE to send emails to FB, Twitter etc to resolve those issues on the account that the Social media account was set up on. They bounce back mails NOT sent on the hacked account, so the hacker sees everything we are communicating re. other compromised accounts! Grrrr!

Yes, the APP thing is confusing - I keep asking how such a idiotic thing could have been introduced and given virtually no support - including what appears to be no staff training.  My account was "hacked" too recently and I fought in vain to try and stop them accessing my emails with VM telling me it's impossible to change the logins.

Sadly after I had lost a couple of accounts that's when I found this "new" APP password (Non-Web Application) and changing it logged out all of my pre-existing connections (main password didn't!) so I'll make the assumption that it secures the connection.  So to be sure - Generate a new APP password - Then change the MAIN password.  There is a risk that hackers set up forwarding and things like that but it's unlikely - If you go into Webmail I think inbox shows if Auto-Forwarding is active, to change it click Settings (top right) and then click the Email option on left with the little dropown, you can see in the main window the "auto forward" button, click it to view/change it - then look at Filter Rules and see if any Filters are set up as forwards can be set from there too.  Again I would imagine most hackers wouldn't do this as they want quick and easy account thefts that can be semi-automated.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.