Menu
Susan4106
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

My VM305 problem only happens on my mobile on the Three network. Sometimes if I reboot the phone, the IP address assigned is different and then email works. Seems really crazy if I am supposed to request removal of the three mobile network IP addresses from this list? I take it the problem isn't with my actual email address because that works from the online email client, and if I select it through the Gmail app (still on mobile network). I've looked at all apps using data and there's nothing untoward. Is there anything else I can do to make sure I genuinely don't have the problem on my actual phone as it does seem to happen almost all the time and hardly ever gets an IP address where it's not failing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Be aware that with the IP Address being shared you cannot assume its (re)appearance on Spamhaus's block lists (SBL and/or XBL) is due to your device. Were your device responsible then it would be expected that other IP Addresses assigned to it would also be listed but that is not the case, for instance when connected to your home network where the IP Address assigned to the Hub changes infrequently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Susan4106
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ok so agreed it's not my device. I think this started when I had a different phone as well. In which case it can't really be my responsibility, so who should be dealing with it, seems like a flaw in the system and either they should sort it out, not list ip addresses that aren't static or virgin media shouldn't be relying on such a flawed process!

Meanwhile constantly putting legit emails into the span folder, but that's another issue!

Going to start a new non virgin email address as this is getting annoying and will make it easier to cancel with them!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Susan4106 wrote:

Ok so agreed it's not my device. I think this started when I had a different phone as well. In which case it can't really be my responsibility, so who should be dealing with it, seems like a flaw in the system and either they should sort it out, not list ip addresses that aren't static or virgin media shouldn't be relying on such a flawed process!

Meanwhile constantly putting legit emails into the span folder, but that's another issue!

Home network suffers from the same “flaw” but because they are managed by you issue like Spamhaus listing(s) can be resolved with some confidence that unfortunately cannot be when dealing with VPNs, or similar services. If the environment warrants use of VPN then use webmail, otherwise use an email client when on a trusted network.

Going to start a new non virgin email address as this is getting annoying and will make it easier to cancel with them!

Good to read and benefit of move will likely provide better security, spam filtering, etc.

0 Kudos