Menu
drumsticks
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Pwanded email address but not password

Got notification from the have I been pwaned site my email address been pwaned.

Just like some others here, getting a mountain of new spam. Male ED cures, dating sites, offers from Russian girls, so the list goes on........

On checking the have I been pwaned site, my password hasn't. Site also tells me who pwaned it. 

So can I say its safe to keep the password, or should I change it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pwanded email address but not password

The short answer is - change the password.

The longer answer is - change your email address as well.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Depending on how long you've had your password, I would always consider changing it.

Common thinking now is to use a password manager such as LastPass, Dashlane or Keepass and to create randomised passwords for each account.

If you do use LastPass or Dashlane, which stores your passwords online (although in a salted, hashed format) - consider using 2 Factor Authentication to secure the password manager account.  Also consider using 2FA to secure accounts which support it.  Sadly Virgin Media does not yet use this, although personally I wish they would as well as change the 10 character limit (although I would add that a 10 character random alphanumeric password is reasonably secure)

If you use passwords like Johnny123 - then stop, these passwords aren't really that secure and can be cracked relatively quickly.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

that reminds me of a previous job. some very very sensitive information being sent every month by email attachment. what do you think the password was that had been used for some time before i arrived on the scene, 12345? password? abcdefg? no, the password used was the name of the person sending the email!
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@drumsticks wrote:

Got notification from the have I been pwaned site my email address been pwaned.

On checking the have I been pwaned site, my password hasn't. Site also tells me who pwaned it.

The '

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi drumsticks,

Mail log data indicates a number of unsuccessful authentication attempts on the 17th, from multiple offnet IP addresses. So the advice to provide a new and secure password is spot on.

Also read this article on the subject:

What should I do if my Virgin Media Mail account's been hacked?

Kind regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
drumsticks
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, password changed. But after a struggle! Google wasn't letting me do it? Had to log into webmail using Explorer. But done it via google as well when sorted. 

However, the amount of spam is annoying. Russian brides, loosing weight, supermarket gifts, and so on. Don't want to change my email address as so many of my contacts have it. Not only that, read on hear it has not to have been used for a number of weeks before can be changed/removed?

I have the reject all spam enabled, but its still getting through? Anyone know why?

0 Kudos