Menu
EMC21
Joining in
Message 1 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Problems with Tiscali

Is there an issue with emails to Tiscali addresses this weekend? I have received emails from two friends, but all my replies have been rejected

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with Tiscali

There might be, and not just at the weekend! Read this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Tiscali-emails-not-being-received/m-p/4708454#M217109

Can we see the rejection message please - in full but with email names redacted - the bit before the @ symbol. That will help immensely in identifying the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 77
Flag for a moderator

@EMC21 

I agree with @HowardML - We need to see the bounce messages here.  It's highly likely that there is an issue, but in order to escalate this, we're going to need evidence.

Tim

Edit - I know someone who is on a Tiscali address.  I've tried sending a test mail from my Blueyonder account.  If there is a problem then I expect a bounce back in about 30 - 60 minutes - based on the other thread.  I'll keep you posted.  But we still need to see your bounce messages as well.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 77
Flag for a moderator

I had a message failure too.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 37 minute(s):

* at*********1@tiscali.co.uk 

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-7-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Hi Andy", has not yet been delivered to a***********1@tiscali.co.uk .

The messages has yet to be delivered due to the following error:??

Socket error: Connection error

Tim

0 Kudos
EMC21
Joining in
Message 5 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

@tiscali.co.uk

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-1-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Grace's new bike", could not be delivered to

Delivery has been aborted due to the below issue:

Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached

This was sent after I'd had the usual retry ones

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 77
Flag for a moderator

I've sent the same mail using my own email server and I've checked the logs.  The TalkTalk email server is up and running, here's the last two lines of the logs from the email send.

May  1 18:19:33 box postfix/smtp[28463]: Trusted TLS connection established to mx.tiscali.co.uk[62.24.139.42]:25: TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)
May  1 18:19:37 box postfix/smtp[28463]: 58CBA17C7B1: to=<a*************1@tiscali.co.uk>, relay=mx.tiscali.co.uk[62.24.139.42]:25, delay=4.1, delays=0.06/0.02/0.16/3.8, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 ctHBllkHJsKZvctHBlE7b3 mail accepted for delivery)

@ModTeam - This really needs to be a priority escalation to the team that manage the Knowsley relays IMHO.  I expect to see more complaints over the next few days otherwise.

Tim

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 77
Flag for a moderator

@Michael_JK 

In Kev_B's absence. This and the associated thread (with what looks like a similar problem) need urgent escalation to the team margining the SMTP relays in Knowsley (as @ravenstar68 asks and I completely support).

Mustntgrumble
Tuning in
Message 8 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have been having similar problems over the last week.  We have two major regular contacts on Tiscali.  We receive emails from both but our replies are rejected somewhere by "the system".  We know of at least one other person (also blueyonder.co.uk) in the area (West London) with similar problems and know there was some issue the week before also.  The most recent error message is:

-----Original Message-----
From: mailer-daemon@virginmedia.com <mailer-daemon@virginmedia.com>
Sent: 01 May 2021 19:43
To: *******@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Delivery Status Notification

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 37 minute(s):

* ******@tiscali.co.uk

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-4-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "RE:....", has not yet been delivered to ******@tiscali.co.uk.

The messages has yet to be delivered due to the following error:??

Socket error: Connection error

We do eventually receive a similar message that after further attempts, the system has given up.

Hope someone at VM can sort this out quickly.

Regards Mntgmbl

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 77
Flag for a moderator

This might not be solely down to VM - they're going to have to investigate to see what's happening and will probably end up working with TalkTalk.

Tim

Mustntgrumble
Tuning in
Message 10 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Tim.
0 Kudos