Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Problems with SMTP server denying access

Hi All,

Have been having an issue since an account change a few weeks ago and I am hoping that someone here will be able to help, having spent 10+ hours on the phone to VM and getting nowhere.

The problem is outgoing mail for our @blueyonder.co.uk address -
all clients receive the same:
Server returned error: "535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) , code: 535"

Incoming mail works as it should, webmail works as it should, but no mail client on any device will connect via SMTP (outlook can't be setup unless this check passes)

So far we have tried at the request of VM:
Waiting 48 hours repeatedly.
Changing our password repeatedly.
Setting up the account on the computer again repeatedly.

We have also tried:
Configuring with a different email client (Thunderbird)
Using online mail testers (mxtester etc)
Setting up the account on phones.
Accessing from different IP addresses.
Checking for listings on Spamhaus.
Creating a GMail account and trying to get that to send.
Changing the password multiple times via virginmedia.com and over the phone with Tech Support

No combination of mail server address, port or authentication will work on outgoing mail. Incoming works as it should via both IMAP or POP3

There was suspicion that the address didnt transfer over properly when we switched the accounts, so that was rectified and after another 48 hour wait we are in the same situation. Everyone on the phone says it should work because the webmail works - but I suspect that webmail has a slightly different method of sending mail. Logging into virginmedia.com gives me my current account number, and the email link opens the correct email account once logged in so I assume they are linked correctly now.

It's as if the SMTP server is not being notified of password changes or is out of sync.

We have waited for the higher tier of IT to call back, to be told the same and that because webmail works it should just work - but they couldn't offer any other assistance beyond saying it "should" work.

It is my understanding that the password for incoming/outgoing mail server should always match - so if my password is valid and letting clients download email - it must be correct for the outgoing server surely, and yet it is being actively refused. I think I have satisfied the potential of this being a device/user issue by replicating the problem on 3 PC's, 2 Phones, 3 Software applications (on different pcs), different IP addresses and now remote aggregators like GMail

Having had this email address for 20+ years I am reluctant to just "let it go" as the logistics involved in swapping this over is obviously pretty complex so any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with SMTP server denying access

This sounds like the same/similar issue to mine reported in another thread here;

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-issues-POP-IMAP-Password-resets/m-p/4048199#M177919

see the later posts.

I've been trying to get it resolved for 10 weeks.  I get fobbed off or ignored in the main. Sometimes I get apologies. The telephone support desk are unhelpful and state that it must be my clients. If I mention 'can't change password' they assume I mean I don't know how to do so on my phone or PC application (which I know inside out).  That's if I can even get through to them which takes over 30 minutes each time.

I can change the web password (for 'MyVirginMedia' and webmail) but the IMAP, POP3 and SMTP passwords don't get changed.  I don't know what the SMTP password has become set to, so I can't send (get the same error as you) and all 3 are out of sync.

Sending via SMTP is different to webmail - the fact that webmail works is largely irrelevant.

I've found it very stressful as I cannot get anyone at VM to understand. Ravenstar68 has been helpful but he too is frustrated that VM can't get to grips with this.  It's like bang in your head against a wall.

perhaps if we can show this is affecting several/many customers they will listen?

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A problem with the help desks (150) is they work from scripts.  Any key words you mention they try to map to those flows.  Anything outside of that won't be within their vocabulary.

until this issue is acknowledged it won't get added to the flows.

and they won't admit they don't know or are wrong as that looses face, so you end up in a stalemate....

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's as if the SMTP server is not being notified of password changes or is out of sync.

We have waited for the higher tier of IT to call back, to be told the same and that because webmail works it should just work - but they couldn't offer any other assistance beyond saying it "should" work.

@Kev_B Again we have a “second tier” support team who don’t seem to grasp how the email system is set up!

While I certainly agree that if webmail works SMTP should work.  They should at least be able to understand what to do when the error messages indicate an invalid password on the SMTP side, even though users are using the same password.

They need to understand that the LDAP backends can and have fallen out of sync, and this is where the efforts to fix this problem need to be concentrated.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They did tell us that we could use a chargeable call centre who would help us set up email....

My son works with servers all day, every day and said something similar about the LDAP sync. 20 Years of ITS & Network Management im pretty sure if he cant set my Outlook up, or get my phone sending email then the PC KnowHow team or whatever wont have much success either.

This is clearly a VM issue, but as the poster above said, they are working to a script and unless you follow it you get fobbed off or in some cases even cut off. I have had the account since the days Cable & Wireless were digging up the roads - to change usernames, login details for hundreds of websites, contact information for hundreds of companys is such a major pain for something that im pretty sure one of the tech team could resolve if I could get through to someone that isn't trying to get me to fit into a script.

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In my case the issue is said to be with the ‘Email Provisioning Team’.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they resolve it soon.

If and when they do I will update here.

I did manage to get a UK based help desk operative to pass the issue to an ‘IT Team’ weeks ago, although they were the wrong team.

To get your case looked at I suggest you a) raise a complaint via the VM website, b) get a member of the forum team to raise it or c) strike lucky and get a help desk operator to forward it

The root cause is probably the same as mine, so it’s possible that it gets fixed at the same time (as it may for many customers).

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I finally got my issue resolved (took 12 weeks)

see https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-issues-POP-IMAP-Password-resets/m-p/4048412/highlig...

As before, I suggest you insist that VM raise this with the 'Email Provisioning Team' and get some timescales from them.  Then try again sometime later (they did not let me know, but it eventually got resolved).

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

hi guys havingsame problem sinc Aug last year. All work on virginwebmail, but any other client it wont send! Ive tried to change the pw in Myvirginmedia, but still not working. 😞 

0 Kudos