Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Problems connecting to imap.virginmedia.com

I have installed Thunderbird 32bit latest version on Windows 7 and set up my virginmedia.com email addresses using imap.

Everything is working ok except for an intermittent problem when I am asked for my password which I know is already stored in Thunderbird.  The imap port is set at 993.

I ran Windows network troubleshooter and the result was as follows:

website (imap.virginmedia.com) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.

The remote computer isn't responding to connections on port 80, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on your computer.

If I click cancel on the request for a new password then eventually it will work. Sometimes the passwords get lost from within Thunderbird.

But if anyone has any ideas about these error messages I would be most grateful.

Thankyou

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems connecting to imap.virginmedia.com

There is an intermittent fault with the imap.virginmedia.com server which causes the situation you have described.  Last we heard on the forum was that it was under investigation, but with the current crisis situation there have been no recent updates on progress.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, Thank you. I don't know why it comes up with port 80? Do you think that running tracert would tell one anything?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because the Windows troubleshooter assumes that you are having problems connecting to a website, so it first pings the address and find that it responds, then tries to connect over HTTP (port 80) and fails since it's not a webserver on the other end.

Traceroute is unlikely to reveal anything useful. It's looking like an authentication issue rather than a connectivity one.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Jem101 Thank you for your answer. Can you tell me the requirements for an email password ie letters, numbers, uc, special characters so that I know that my password conforms and is not a problem - or give me a link to where this is defined?
So if the problem is with Virginmedia is it just a case of waiting for it to be resolved. There is no issue with using webmail as far as I know. Nothing further that I can try.
In order perhaps to use webmail for looking simultaneously at emails from several different addresses is it possible to create a unified mail inbox for Virgin mail?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Twirple wrote:
Jem101 Thank you for your answer. Can you tell me the requirements for an email password ie letters, numbers, uc, special characters so that I know that my password conforms and is not a problem - or give me a link to where this is defined?
So if the problem is with Virginmedia is it just a case of waiting for it to be resolved. There is no issue with using webmail as far as I know. Nothing further that I can try.
In order perhaps to use webmail for looking simultaneously at emails from several different addresses is it possible to create a unified mail inbox for Virgin mail?

VM mail password requirements are: "8-10 characters long, letters and numbers only, no spaces.  First character must be a letter."

For me the intermittent issue seems to be happening less frequently in the last few days - but, yes, it is just a case of waiting for it to be resolved.

Instructions for using Unified mail inbox and adding other accounts into VM webmail can be found here: virgin-media-mail-unified-mail 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is the first time I have used the help forum and I want to say how impressed I am with the speed of getting answers, the format of the email notifications of when I have a response, the way I am taken to the place in the thread where the answer is and not just to the answer. But most importantly how when I use Chrome's 'Print' facility that the thread appears in a very clear readable form. I usually use the Save to pdf option to save the thread to my computer. A very happy bunny!