Menu
NickJH
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Problem with dormant e-mail account

I am no longer a VM customer but I have dormant e-mail accounts (mainly ntlworld.com but probably at least one virginmedia.com address). When I left they were all set up to auto-forward to me and they still do after 18 months.

A little while ago I received an e-mail (not from Virginmedia) indicating possible password compromise somewhere with a dormant e-mail address (it could have been a compromise on another site where I used my VM e-mail for a login so this fact may be irrelevant)

Over the weekend I received a lot of spam non-delivery backscatter from the virginmedia mailer-daemon. I could not have been the source of the e-mails as I am external to the VM cable network now. This could just have been some annoying backscatter.

Overnight I received an e-mail asking me to validate an account at some company, but my dormant VM e-mail account had been used, so someone is using my dormant e-mail account to register at other companies.

I have no idea if the user is able to pick up these e-mails and use my account, but I am concerned. I cannot change the password on the account or any of the other dormant e-mail addresses as I no longer have a VM account. I cannot use VM help as I no longer have an account.

What can I do to get the account passwords changed? It can be to anything random as I don't know how to access them by user/pass. I just receive the e-mails because of auto-forwarding.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with dormant e-mail account

@NickJH wrote:

I am no longer a VM customer but I have dormant e-mail accounts (mainly ntlworld.com but probably at least one virginmedia.com address). When I left they were all set up to auto-forward to me and they still do after 18 months.

Your "dormant" email accounts should have been closed and deleted by Virgin Media 90 days after you ceased to be a paying customer. However, as you have discovered they can be a bit lax in doing that. 😉

The best thing would be to get VM to delete them now and the Forum Team (VM employees) can arrange to get that done for you.

Wait here and one of the Team will contact you through this thread and get the details from you by a Forum Private Message (PM). Don't post the addresses here because that will cause even more problems for you.

It may take the Team a while to work through their backlog but they will contact you and get those old addresses deleted.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
NickJH
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bump, please?

I am still getting backscatter and I've seen one fraudulent account opened with this e-mail address at a financial institution.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to resolve it for you, to get these accounts deleted.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey @NickJH,

I can get this arranged for you, I will drop over a private message in a moment, so that we can take the email addresses that you want to be deleted.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming your email address that you need to be deleted in our private message @NickJH.

I have raised that with our IT team and I will be in touch once the team have confirmed that the mailboxes have been deleted.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey @NickJH,

Our IT team has come back to confirm that all of your mailboxes have now been deleted from our systems and servers.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
NickJH
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. Nick

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team