Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Problem using MS Outlook with Virgin email - unable to log into server

Heeeeeelp

Outlook suddenly started to ask for details/password repeatedly and will not log into the VM server. Able to get email on my phone but will not work on my desktop. It  receives email but will not send.

Its driving me mad and I am about to go to the garage for my sledge hammer.

I have reinstalled MS office and checked the VM settings are up to date and changes my VM password. The details are correct because I can log directly into my VM email online

Any help gratefully received

Eddie

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem using MS Outlook with Virgin email - unable to log into server

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you have been having issues with outlook.

Have you managed to get this resolved?

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No I have had a nightmare with this

I ended up purchasing office 365 and still it would not work with VM. I dumped that for a refund reinstalled my own purchased copy of Office 2013 Professional and I am back to having the same problem. It appears I can receive email but not send and outlook just keeps asking me for my password. I have changed my password to see if that works but no.

I had Microsoft remotely on my computer for 2 hours and they say its VM. I telephone VM and they were no help at all as they say Outlook is a third part software. I am just contemplating leaving VM as I have a business to run and VM are not interested in helping me. Their customer service is sooooo poor. The wanted to charge me to look into this but could not say how much it would cost....... Yes I'm daft enough to fall for that!

Any helpful advice gratefully accepted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@edddiett OK let's first check a possible cause of this, which does seem to be increasingly likely recently. You say that email works on your phone yes, crucially does it work only when you are away from home and/or not on your VM wifi?

In the meantime, can you find out your public IP (WAN) address? The easiest way is to open a web browser and just type IP in the Google search box or goto the website www.whatismyip.com. These will return the IP address, it'll be something like 82.x.y.z, make a note of it, but whatever you do, don't post it into any replies.

Then goto https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and enter the IP address you just got into the lookup box and let it do the checking. When it returns some results, reply back here with which (if any) lists the address appears on. If you do a copy and paste, please make sure that you blank out or remove any mentions of your address.

Let's see what you get and take it from there.

John

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok Thanks for the advice.......... Here is the information which was returned

************** is listed in the SBL, in the following records:

************ is not listed in the PBL

***********  is not listed in the XBL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Right so there's the problem, you have a device somewhere on your home network which is has become compromised with malware and is sending out email spam which has been detected and your address has been placed on the CSS blocklist. VM (and apparently BT) have a policy of checking this list before authenticating connections to their email systems, you can connect and receive mail but when you try to send, VM's system actively denies your connection and Outlook just responds with a fairly generic username/password error and the user spends ages on a wild-goose chase looking at the wrong thing.

I would suggest you take a look through these threads

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Sending-Problems-IP-Addresses/td-p/4078949

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spamhaus-ip-blocked/td-p/4083829

which describes the same situation as you are in along with the (slightly convoluted) steps to find out what device is actually responsible, the second one is  sixteen pages long and does get a little fractious towards the end, but is an enlightening read. In the meantime you should firstly scan your desktop PC thoroughly with a good anti-virus and anti-malware package and seconds have a good think and compile a list of every single device which attaches to your home network, including such things as Chromecasts, Android-based TV boxes and Amazon firesticks; because it could be any of them!

John

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 

I've managed to take the principles we used to solve Finnegan's thread and have drafted it into a post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

@edddiett 

If you have any questions about the linked post, please respond in this thread only.  I have asked the mods to lock that thread.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the advice

I will read the articles and isolate the devices on my network. Once I have identified the culprit (assuming I can do that) will my email return to normal or will I have to contact VM to get some kind of clearance. I have never received any type of letter or warning from VL. Do the possible devices also include Alexa/google?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.......... Much appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Although it is indeed VM who actively block you sending emails, all they do is check to see if your address is included on a third-party list. VM themselves don’t maintain or control it.

So there’s no need to contact VM about this, if you have isolated and removed the device sending the spam then you can manually request a delisting from the Spamhaus website - I’ve forgotten exactly where the option is, but I believe it’s fairly intuitive. If you do nothing and there are no further reports of your address sending spam, it will automatically be delisted after a couple of days.

Be aware that if you haven’t removed the infected device then there’s every chance that you’ll simply go back on the list again.

Potentially it could be anything, but some devices will be less likely than others, an un jail broken iOS device is far less likely to be the culprit than some random Android TV box with all sorts of ‘ads on’ of dubious provenance. An Amazon Echo, if in the factory default state, is unlikely to be the source (and if it is then Amazon have a real QA issue).

John

John

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@edddiett wrote:

Thank you for the advice

I will read the articles and isolate the devices on my network. Once I have identified the culprit (assuming I can do that) will my email return to normal - Once you've identified and stopped the source of spam, Spamhaus will automatically de-list you after not seeing any traffic for a day or so.  You can also ask for a manual de-listing if you click the SBLCSS entry there is advice on how to do this.  Don't de-list without dealing with the spambot.

or will I have to contact VM to get some kind of clearance. - Not normally, once you're off the CSS you should be fine.

I have never received any type of letter or warning from VL. Do the possible devices also include Alexa/google? - While instinct would say Alexa is an unlikely source, I would consider ANY device suspect until you've definitely nailed down the culprit.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.......... Much appreciated

I've given my answers to each question in blue.

HTH

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos