Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Primary email address

Hi.

My ntlworld email address is constantly sending spam emails. I've set up a new one, only to be told I can't change my primary email address. I just want my old one closed and rid of but apparently I can't do this . There's got to be a way surely. I also changed it to my married name, what usually happens when people get married, are they not allowed to change their email address? It's so frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Primary email address

Welcome to the community.  Yes it is frustrating, but VM's email system is what it is.  Your primary address is permanent.  You can use secondary addresses that you create as your favourite.  Or start using any other email service, obviously.  In the meantime, check all aspects of your account and email address security ASAP.

If your email address is indeed sending out spam, then you will get warning letters from VM and the address would be locked.  So it may be that you are the victim of spoofing - read more below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-what-is-email-spoofing

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So if you get married you can't change your email address? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Of course you can, there are many providers of email address and they often provide a better, more secure service.  Some are free, and some have a charge.  Gmail, yahoo, proton to name a few.  Do some research and choose one.

Many of the VM community users no longer use their VM primary (or secondary) email address as their important email address, only leaving it for VM account communications.  We remind someone most days that the address is only provided to VM broadband service users, and when you leave it is deleted.  So why not get a non-ISP related email address and free yourself of the problem?

But if you want a VM address, then create one.  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-create-a-new-email-address

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've got a new one and I'm using it for all correspondence now, but as long as my old one stays open it will keep sending spam. I have done everything advised but it still keeps happening. I need to keep it open to view my bills. Funny how I can view my mobile bills on my new email address but not my TV/phone bill. It shouldn't be this difficult, you should be able to just change it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good argument about VM e-mail and accounts that may have been compromised.

First of all your address is not sending spam.  The spam always comes from some one else's e-mail account. There are two possibilities. The first is that your e-mail address is being used to disguise the source of spam being sent by someone else. That is spoofing. Or your account credentials have been disclosed to a spammer who is using them (e-mail address and password) to send spam via the VM servers authenticated by your credentials. Looks lik your account is sending them but it is not. 

The first you can't stop until the spoofers decide to stop. The second is always stopped if you change your password and make sure that your e-mail devices are clear of any infection of malware that is disclosing your credentials to scammers, and that you do NOT share your e-mail passwords with any other log-in you may have.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped