Menu
don_picken
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Possible clue to Authentication Issues

I have the same problems I can send emails but can't receive them.
I have been checking my server settings I am using the old servers

sending pop3.virginmedia.com
receiving pop3.ntlworld.com

receiving seems to have been changed to pop3virginmedia.com.
I changed my setting to the new settings. however the problem remained.

Could the problem be that my account has not been moved to the new server?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible clue to Authentication Issues

@don_picken wrote:

Could the problem be that my account has not been moved to the new server?

The short answer is no.

That is not the way the VM email setup works. I assume that you have an ntlworld,com address? If you use an email app on your phone or an email cllient such as Microsoft Outlook on your laptop or PC then you can pick up your Ntlworld emails from either the old "pop3.ntlworld.com" or the new "pop3.virginmedia.com" servers.

The virginmedia.com settings are best because they are more secure but they both work (for the time being), long term the virginmedia.com is the way to go. Ntlworld addresses currently still work with both servers. You do need to have the correct ports set however,

I am slightly bemused by your comment:

sending pop3.virginmedia.com
receiving pop3.ntlworld.com

since the sending server should be "smtp.virginmedia.com" or if you are old school "smtp.ntlworld.com". Again ntlworld addresses currently work with both servers but you do need to have the correct ports set.

Here are the recommended settings; https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer