Menu
LD67
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor search facility on Apple mail

I am using a new apple phone with up to date IOS. I find that the search facility within the apple Mail app for emails is really bad and will not produce results beyond a week or two. Apple tells me it’s  a problem with my service provider. The situation is so bad that I have to use a gmail account where my virgin.net emails are forwarded to. Can anyone help me please?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor search facility on Apple mail

Using latest iOS Mail and not seeing the same; from All Inboxes search by Date criteria 2016 and results correctly returned.

You mentioned that your forward email onto Gmail account, did you select the Keep a copy of the message? option in webmail?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LD67
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestion I will look into it.

where do I find the Date criteria please?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Swipe down to reveal Search field then as you start typing the search term its various interpretation are listed below, for example

• type May 2021
  • select Date criteria option, as highlighted below:
    2021-05-10.jpeg

BTW did you confirm that your forward to Gmail is set to keep a copy of the message?

LD67
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would just like to be able to search for an email by sender’s name. I dont know the date it was sent. I can easily do this on gmail but not on virgin.net. either when it comes through to Apple Mail app or even on the mail2virginmedia website.

Yes, I have set to keep a copy of the message.

Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@LD67 wrote:

I would just like to be able to search for an email by sender’s name........ but not on virgin.net. ...........even on the mail2virginmedia website.

I do not really use the VM Webmail service but when I tried searching on a name I certainly got the option to search for emails from people on my contacts list. See below:

search on name.png

By the way, I had to smile when I read in your first post " Apple tells me it’s a problem with my service provider. " I am probably too cynical for my own good but my experience is that when an IT customer support person is stumped for an answer they always insist with complete (but misplaced) confidence that the problem lies elsewhere. That way they can close your call and move swiftly on to the next one.

I use Outlook to manage all my emails from several different providers and the search facility in Outlook works equally well with all of them, including VM.

These days Apple Mail seems to get good reviews but you do not have to use it if it does not suit you. There are several others that you could try to see if they meet your needs better than Apple Mail. A quick online search turned up this list: https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/best-email-apps-iphone-3795644/ 

Coenoby

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

iOS Mail interprets the search text as it is entered so a name may not be recognised as an email address until a non-alpha character is entered after which the appropriate selection can be made from the choices offered, as highlighted below:
2021-05-11.jpeg

Webmail's search function does not traverse folders (i.e. search is restricted to selected folder and exclude its sub folders) so if search is important to you use an email client instead.