Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Please Help Me! (FAO Katie_WT?)

Dear Experts!

Please don't loose the will to live on hearing this as i know you heard it before!

I'm one of those who had a virgin broadband account years ago and have used the virgin.net email provider ever since. TBH its 15-20 years.

So my email contains part of my life history - contacts, account details, invoices, countless PMs - you can imagine after all those years. 

As of 2 days ago it died saying my login was invalid and I can't reset the PW. No notice was given or I could maybe have managed it. I'm distraught.

As I know you helped others - please what can I do. If I have to join up then so be it. 

Many Many thanks

Paul Bridges (E:  [REMOVED])

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please Help Me! (FAO Katie_WT?)

if you are not a VM internet customer VM can't help.
If the account is still active it might be able to be transferred to an active VM account. (Replacing all emails on that account) but if its already closed it will be lost

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please Help Me! (FAO Katie_WT?)

Yes we have heard this all before and you will get the exactly the same answer as we have given before. If you are not a current VM broadband customer you have no right to use the VM e-mail system. VM have the right to withdraw access when they discover this, however long it takes for them to do this. And they are under no obligation to give you any notice whatsoever.  VM staff here will not help you recover the account. 

I have said this many times before as a VM broadband customer whose subscription includes the cost of my e-mail account with VM, I have ethical doubts about giving advice to non-customers in this situation. But I often make an exception. I will here.

You can try two things. Firstly It is web mail access that is withdrawn first. So if you access the account using web mail, try using an e-mail program like Thunderbird with your current account credentials and see if you can gain access. That will give you enough time to retrieve the mail you want but your contact list will not be accessible.

You can also try to log into web mail but use the forgotten password link as your password won't work. If you have set security questions in the past this may give you access. You may have try entering the answers in all uppercase or in all lower case to get this work.

If neither of these two routes work you will have reached the end of the road.

I should also add that no matter the circumstances you should not post your e-mail address on a public forum. These places are trawled by bots looking for live addresses to send spam too. Not that it really matters in your case but I'd till take time to edit it out to be on the safe side.

Edit - I see the Mods have been busy to save you from yourself. I should also add that even if you rejoined VM and you need to live in a VM cable area to do this, why would you pay upwards of £50 per month to recover your e-mail address and anyway by the time an installation took place the address would probably have been deleted permanently from VM's system and so would be irrecoverable anyway. You can't create or recreate former virgin.net addresses.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks