Menu
MG-fixer
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Phishing filter

I have set filters for spoof emails from particular domains but this does not seem to work. Email from “ blocked” domains still come through. The scammers just change the first part of the send address and post again.

what I do need to do to block domains from these scammers? I am fed up with them but with a good personal email address and this being logged with so many contacts and utilities why should I bow to these crooks.

thanks

0 Kudos
Drucos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phishing filter

Just add spam/phishing/scam emails to your Spam folder and delete it every so often. Not much you can actually do about it as they can be randomly generated email accounts / bots. Just be smarter than them and not open any emails from them and have them sent to your SPAM folder automatically. This will steadily decrease as time goes on but chances are they will never stop.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

See the thread 'My Spam Solution'. It has a novel filter which seems to be working.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ahrbee wrote:

See the thread 'My Spam Solution'. It has a novel filter which seems to be working.

Probably worth adding that that works on a batch of spam with a malformed sent date.

Checking my spam folder only one of the twenty or so in the last month would have been caught by the filter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We'll see what happens. There have been several people claiming success after installing the filter; but it's early days.

For me, previous attempts to divert spam with filters using key words had limited success. Many ended in Junk but without the identifying flag. Maybe the same will be true of 'Dave's spam solution'. It would be interesting, though, if a decent sample of people installed Dave's filter so we had a better idea if it works.

As it is, there is a growing tide of spam for many of us using Virgin Media and ntlworld addresses: any port in a storm?

0 Kudos
Sigma
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

For me the "My spam solution" thread has been a godsend.

Here's my spam folder since implementing that filter yesterday: -

https://i.imgur.com/KD3Kp9b.jpg

The emails marked with a blue flag are ones caught by the filter, which is 24 of the 25 emails in my spam folder.

I have had 0 spam emails make their way to my inbox, and I have had 0 false positives so far. Without that filter, all 24 of those spam emails would have made their way into my inbox.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MG-fixer wrote:

I have set filters for spoof emails from particular domains but this does not seem to work. Email from “ blocked” domains still come through. The scammers just change the first part of the send address and post again.

what I do need to do to block domains from these scammers? I am fed up with them but with a good personal email address and this being logged with so many contacts and utilities why should I bow to these crooks.

Create a filter rule similar to the following:
2021-02-14.jpeg
NB: the Regex value example\.com matches the domain example.com. To match further domains add them with a separating |, for example to add example.org the Regex value would become example\.com|example\.org.

FYI: Regular expression (Regex) have special characters that denote something other that their value, for example a period would match any character. The special character \ escapes the following character of this, for example \. will only match a period.

If you are being targetted by the spam batch containing an invalid sent date then create a filter rule similar to the following:

用心棒_0-1613347772467.jpeg

NB: if an email's sent date is invalid it defaults to 01/01/1970 causing it to match the rule's condition.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yesterday, I installed the filter with the invalid date as in the 'My Spam Solution' thread; and illustrated in the second part of the example above. I don't have the first part of the above example, namely the REGEX. What is the effect of omitting the REGEX please?

My experience to date is too short to see visible impact. As often happens, when you want to test a spam filter, there's no spam at all today!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ahrbee wrote:

Yesterday, I installed the filter with the invalid date as in the 'My Spam Solution' thread; and illustrated in the second part of the example above. I don't have the first part of the above example, namely the REGEX. What is the effect of omitting the REGEX please?

The former rule addressed MG-fixer issue of blocking by domain; the Regex condition has no place in the latter rule.

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for answering my question.

0 Kudos