Menu
whatablanker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Phishing emails

Has Virginmedia changed some security setting? I'm getting loads of phishing emails wanting me to renew my Internet security. I'm getting 20+ a day. Why aren't they being filtered out.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phishing emails

Best guess is nothing has changed apart from the spammers moving onto the next batch of email addresses to target.

At present the filters detailed in this post Re: Junk email are helping manage a majority of the spam I receive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
whatablanker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks the other issue is my wife has blocked email addresses but they are still getting through and when she blocks them again she gets a message saying she has already  blocked them.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Blacklist function does not stop these emails from getting through but instead moves them from the Inbox folder to the Spam folder. Do these email remain in her Inbox?

0 Kudos
malcolmP
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

me too - most irritating. Started after the email issues last week

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I tried to add this filter but it did not give me any option but to place the offending items in the Inbox. I set up a folder called 'Mailing Box Spam' within the Inbox but I was still unable to re-direct the potential spam. I could red flag it but that was all. 

I was nervous about tinkering with the system when I could not follow all the instructions and gave up.

Is there a simple rule to place ALL e-mails with no content or e-mails with words like renewal and prize in the Junk folder?

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK. I now see what one is supposed to do. I would like to place all e-mails with no content into SPAM. Is that possible please?

0 Kudos
sjw211
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting lots of these too since last week and Virgin's Spam filters don't seem to be doing anything.

I've added these to a new email filter that is catching some and putting them to my Spam folder but I'd rather not see them in the first place obviously..

@giveaway.com|@iam.ibm.com|@ichbuiseness.com|@jights.eu|@questingle.eu|@thropa.eu|@ecaperreadeat.eu|@able.ichbuiseness.com|@hjem-is.dk|@vote.ichbuiseness.com|@hjem-is.dk|@busline.com|@linuxuser.co.uk|@em.biglots.com|@em.biglots.com|@lpandl.com

Any of those domains the same as yours?

Also, I've just had one that went into my 'Amazon' folder - a rule that puts mail in there from @amazon.co.uk.

The mail properties say it is from prime.rewards@amazon.co.uk  - but it must be spoofed.  Amazon's process asks for the mail to be sent to them as an attachment to stop-spoofing@amazon.com.

However, if I try to report it to them I get an error:Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [stop-spoofing@amazon.com] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content

How ironic, they let me receive it and process it as coming from an Amazon email address - but won't let me send it to report it.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I recognise .biglots.com and .eu. The latter I dealt with some time ago with a filter that sends all.eu mails to junk. They actually stopped coming at all soon after that - maybe a coincidence or maybe report@phishing.gov.uk caught up with them. I have had Amazon and supermarket scams. I have had several with no content which I would like to filter if I knew how to send any mail with no content to junk.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK there is no rule condition to match empty content but I suspect those emails do have content that is suppressed by the email client setting to not automatically show remote images; if the email truly has no content then webmail will show the message This email has no content