Menu
lincolnd
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phishing emails

Hi,

for about a month now I have been getting about 5 to 10 phishing emails a day on my ntlworld account. I have changed my log in details, set up the spam filter and forwarded the emails to the virgin phishing address. Nothing is stopping them coming through, all from different sources, mainly various forms of McAfee, Bull Guard, Norton etc. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phishing emails

The majority of the misidentified spam I have received of late contained a List-Id header and those lists I do subscribe to do not include this header. So I can safely direct these spam emails to a holding folder with the following rule:

2020-12-01.jpeg
NB: foo\.lan is a dummy value used to allow the rule to match other values but also to provide a means to list allowed domains. To allow a domain append it to foo\.lan with a | for example foo\.lan|example.org would allow a List_id value containing example.org to not be directed to the holding folder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lincolnd
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the quick reply, I will try that when the next one comes through

Cheers

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 

I tried your suggested filter earlier and the result was that every email was picked up by it - even messages from this forum.  What have I got wrong, can you spot anything?

mailling list spam.PNG

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Graham_A, thank you for flagging this. Missing check for header exists added to correct:

2020-12-01.jpeg

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I give the amended version a go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wrscatty
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am getting these emails too and my partner is, all about McAfee, Norton licence expiry and bitcoin. Loads every day, tried blocking, blacklisting, set up filter rules, they still keep coming!

0 Kudos
lincolnd
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks for this information - its worked a treat. Much appreciated
0 Kudos