Menu
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Peculiar Email Problem

Many months ago I received some really great help when my husband and I had problems with our IP address being blocked from sending emails and I now need further assistance with a different email problem.

This morning, I forwarded an email to my husband but it was rejected with the following message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk 

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-2-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "FW: xxxx.", could not be delivered to xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk .

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

554:554 5.2.0 MXIN602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=g3HJjmwz1llzGg3HPjt7ye;sid=g3HJjmwz1llzG;mta=mx10.tb;dt=2020-06-02T11:32:20+02:00;ipsrc=80.0.253.66;

As it was a forwarded email I sent a test one-word email to him and it was also rejected with the same rejection message.  I then sent an email to him and another contact (with a VM email address) and got the same rejection for his address but not for the other recipient (who received the email without any problem).  I also logged in to VM webmail and successfully sent an email to him and finally successfully sent him an email to a non-VM address that he has.

There may be times when I choose to not communicate with my husband but this is not currently the case.

Can any shed some light?

coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Peculiar Email Problem

@Finnegan wrote:

Can any shed some light?

Having had a check through your previous experiences with the spambot issue I am sure that you are already well aware of what I am about to say. Apologies if that is the case. 😞

What the Delivery Status Notice is telling you is that the email you sent or forwarded to your husband was accepted by one of VM's outgoing email servers in Knowsley and the server duly passed the email on for delivery to your husband's Blueyonder account. So it is not the situation you saw before where the VM Outgoing server rejects the email due to the customer's IP address being blacklisted and which generates the dreaded VM305 error back to the sender.

In this case it is the VM incoming server that has rejected the email with a Spam Content warning.

Emails sent from a Webmail account are not subjected to the same scrutiny as those coming from email clients such as Outlook so perhaps it is not too surprising that you were able to send the email to your husband via that route. It is still a bit strange though.😕

It is certainly no surprise that you can successfully send the email to non VM recipients since their incoming mail servers may not be making the same checks that the VM Incoming server makes. Would be interesting to know if those non VM recipients received the email in their spam folder.

So, what to do? 

I think this is a case which the Forum Team (VM employees) need to pick up and pass it on to the VM Email team. The error message includes the unique id for the email transaction in question (id=g3HJjmwz1llzGg3HPjt7ye) so the email team should be able to use that to see exactly what happened and why.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your interest Coenoby.  Do I just sit back and wait for VM staff to get back to me or is there some further information I can dig out?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Finnegan wrote:

Do I just sit back and wait for VM staff to get back to me or is there some further information I can dig out?

Unfortunately, it is a waiting game I'm afraid. The work around is to use VM Webmail but it would be worth continuing to test whether you can send to VM addresses successfully using your email client to see if the issue resolves itself.

One thing I forgot to say in my post was that it is intriguing that the incoming VM server is rejecting even one word emails from you. To me it suggests the issue is not so much 'spam content' but that your email is thought to come from a source of spam. It might be worth checking whether your IP address is listed in the SBL here: https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ 

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, Coenoby.  The problem still exists today.  All test emails (including replies) from me to my husband's blueyonder address are rejected as spam.  The same messages from me to other blueyonder addresses are not rejected at all.

The first thing I did when the problem began was check our IP address with Spamhaus (with trepidation) but we are not on the SBL list.  We share the same router but he can send to me (blueyonder.to blueyonder). 

It's not really a big problem but I hate when things don't work as they should do.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Finnegan wrote:

Thanks again, Coenoby. 

The problem still exists today.  All test emails (including replies) from me to my husband's blueyonder address are rejected as spam.

Thank you for the update.

The same messages from me to other blueyonder addresses are not rejected at all.

The fact that other blueyonder addresses can receive your emails is interesting. Does he receive emails from other VM email addresses? Not sure if you can test that.

The first thing I did when the problem began was check our IP address with Spamhaus (with trepidation) but we are not on the SBL list.  We share the same router but he can send to me (blueyonder.to blueyonder). 

I did not expect your IP to be on the SBL list but it was good to check that. So thank you. 👍

It's not really a big problem but I hate when things don't work as they should do.

Of course you want it to work, thank you for being so patient. I'm just interested to find out why it doesn't. 🤔

Coenoby

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I been watching this thread with increasing incredulity. I'm puzzled so let's do something positive, but a small step, to see if we can work out what is happening.

Send a fresh e-mail to your husband from your BY address to his.

When it gets marked as spam, as it should, then post the header of that mail from his address, suitably edited/anonymised, here. You know how to do that from the last time. We'll look at the header and see what the VM servers have done. We want to see the header of the mail as received (as if I need to emphasise this!)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the interest Howard.  I hope this is right.  This is the header from the rejection message I receive every time I send my husband an email.  He doesn't receive anything.  I don't know enough to translate the information but it did puzzle me that his address didn't get a mention.  All of the xxxxs belong to my email address.

Return-Path: <>
Delivered-To: xxx@blueyonder.co.uk
Received: from md2.tb.ukmail.iss.local ([212.54.57.76])
by mc24.tb.ukmail.iss.local with LMTP id iEslGzTp117tHAAAsNwiEA
for <xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk>; Wed, 03 Jun 2020 20:17:24 +0200
Received: from smtpclienthelo ([212.54.57.76])
by md2.tb.ukmail.iss.local with LMTP
id +EABGzTp114ZBAAAaJkqCg
(envelope-from <>)
for <xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk>; Wed, 03 Jun 2020 20:17:24 +0200
Authentication-Results: ukmail.iss.as9143.net;
spf=none (81.104.62.34;);
dkim=pass header.d=virginmedia.com;
dmarc=pass header.from=virginmedia.com (p=quarantine sp=quarantine dis=pass);
X-Env-Mailfrom:
X-Env-Rcptto: xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk
X-SourceIP: 81.104.62.34
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.3 cv=euNEMrhX c=1 sm=1 tr=0 cx=a_idp_d
a=kWcnnG9gofsscod8s/fleg==:117 a=HpEJnUlJZJkA:10 a=jmdcTMp_Gj4A:10
a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=a5Gf7U6LAAAA:8 a=WbWkM-ldn_mSudmJojwA:9
a=NAleI9PCSe7BftMZ:21 a=qmPnbBVOjMEEy6H7:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10
a=5XtCdDaBb2ZYMcxQJd0A:9 a=3-x4E3gfQlzuPMCBjqcA:9 a=UAWglNxVsL2iQSLi:21
a=AaIRuvgFTfUFPK-l:21 a=DAwyPP_o2Byb1YXLmDAA:9 a=1FzqG5ILVBdwvA7Y_sMA:9
a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=yMhMjlubAAAA:8 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=gKO2Hq4RSVkA:10
a=UiCQ7L4-1S4A:10 a=hTZeC7Yk6K0A:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10
a=VWYBCMy2-3DvUfgBPAUA:22
Received: from know-smtprelay-omd-2.server.virginmedia.net ([81.104.62.34])
by mx9.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net with ESMTP
id gXx6jF3sDohd5gXx6jWbbx; Wed, 03 Jun 2020 20:17:24 +0200
Message-Id: <20200603201724.gXx6jF3sDohd5gXx6jWbbx@mx9.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 19:17:23 +0100
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=virginmedia.com;
s=meg.feb2017; t=1591208243;
bh=/UkCHmF3tbe+TPlL8mlFuG4wXmVlCt7ltmEnlKVb+ns=;
h=Date:From:To:Subject;
b=KYj9LmQr8XlBtqfDa54ZWVeCvLLyDirxP8Lj+Gna9mnE6XUGAZyVZs0hVYuQAVkbk
B89LbyJg2gjT/0BLNBlLM1U87gENLZztrBJ8qLmXIK6X3nXWc5yFkeOHkJq4NU1c9u
7TKg+cJSKg+M9NHlDvOlP4WZDoJBz+661R/379uT730ddBXt0oMPWf//rITOl9WiMc
/pJfIlPBOve1lbVLIQID44huixI6GkeXACD43wJ65Wemu4uZjGTPQQUm2Mnt4OOHud
7gH9dFgPxIxsOqk2pjDTxRnw5LTZKHoUdMmZFs04o3WppSx+JUPV8MVfR2boTvJgmX
CdkzjvxCKSXcQ==
To: xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Message Delivery Failure
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; boundary="------------I305M09060309060P_549515912082430"
X-CMAE-Envelope: MS4wfEIKLN+71t6UQJ5QsGvsWF6T3aiseo3QJ1RRW/YAeVkfvKjWIG0Vg4o8icYYD+oSyfz1Hai9j8XpiZ7EbzlTlmVUbZWDZfUFGGh0GmZS/ruAhczohqmJ
36t7S+ixY77+vMukHNX3EDWBsHqIUxwRZVCOtARlnxtilxkgosEuhlBfob29UibdxcScyXFFlvo7Kw==

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guys

This is a strange one indeed.

I'm going to sim up what I've read.

• Emails sent to your husbands email address from you via an email program are being bounced with an MXIN602 error.
  • Emails to other blueyonder addresses from you using the same email program are received happily.
  • Emails sent using Webmail from the same address to your husbands blueyonder email are being received

I'll start by echoing what Coenoby has said in that this doesn't appear to be a problem with your email program.

VM's mail system is split into 2 locations.

A mail Gateway in Cheshire - which also includes the outbound servers for smtp.virginmedia.com etc.
The main mail platform in Utrecht which is where mail is stored and the webmail system is based.  It has outbound SMTP servers as well that are used ONLY by the webmail platform as well as the inbound servers which receive all mail for the VM domains.

My first thought as to why the webmail was getting through is that it might actually bypass the step where it's delivered to from outbound to inbound, but this does not appear to be the case.  Although mail coming from the webmail platform may well be treated as being trustworthy.

Would you be wiling to send an email with three addresses in the same To line

My blueyonder address; your husbands blueyonder address; my own external email address

The latter is so I can inspect the headers on a mail sent via your email program for any additional clues.

I'm not a VM employee but I have done a lot of work with them on email issues in the past.  Let me know in this thread and I'll drop you a PM with my email addresses.

Tim

Edit

P.S.  Your husbands email addy won't be in the header you posted as this is a bounce message sent to you to from VM's outbound server to let you know the email wasn't sent.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

Nice to 'speak' to you again (sort of !). Of course I'm happy to send these emails.  It's not a big issue as I don't often send my husband email (we live in the same house) and, even if I needed to just now, I can use his non-VM email address.  As I said earlier, I'm like a dog with a bone when something isn't quite right.

Regards

Lorna