cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password retreival for secondary emails

Bigredfury
Tuning in

Hi I have just changed computer and two of my secondary emails I have I cannot remember the passwords for.

I've been through the forgot passwords route but it's not working .....any ideas anyone?

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bigredfury wrote:

just changed computer and two of my secondary emails I have I cannot remember the passwords for. .....any ideas anyone?

Do you access your emails using Virgin Media's webmail service on their website?

If you do and you still have access to your previous computer you could then use that:

1) To try signing into one of you secondary accounts from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and once you have entered the email address you should see this screen. Then click on the "eye" symbol bottom right and the dots will be replaced by your password.

vm email sigin page.png

2) Alternatively, you could check out this link https://www.ampercent.com/manage-saved-passwords-chrome-firefox-edge-safari/27947/ to see how you can see the passwords that have been saved in your browser on your original computer. You can then use them to access your accounts from your new device.

If neither of those suggestions works or you do not have access to the old computer but you do have a live VM broadband account then one of the Forum Team (VM staff members who support this forum) should be able to help you.

They will not be able to retrieve your existing passwords but they should be able to get them reset for you. One of the Team will contact via this forum thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The primary account holder should be able to reset the passwords for the secondary emails.  Get them to log in and go to the accounts screen in my.virginmedia.com

Remember that you will then have to log in to my.virginmedia.com using the secondary email account and set up an app specific password if you are using an email program to access your mails.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ravenstar68 Unfortunately that route is no longer possible. Secondary accounts can only be deleted via the primary account.  Password changes have to be made in the specific My Virgin Media account for each secondary address.  If the current password isn't known then the Forgotten password may work provided that security answers are already set for the secondary account.  If they haven't been set a message will appear inviting the user to ring customer services for a password reset.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

@ravenstar68 wrote:

The primary account holder should be able to reset the passwords for the secondary emails.  Get them to log in and go to the accounts screen in my.virginmedia.com

Remember that you will then have to log in to my.virginmedia.com using the secondary email account and set up an app specific password if you are using an email program to access your mails.

Tim, I don’t think that has been the case for a while now! As I understand it the ‘primary’ account can only delete a secondary email address, not manage it, ie change the password.

Now although I do see the logic behind doing it this way, it does seem to have caught a number of users out. If, for example the security questions and answers had been replicated to the secondary accounts, with a proviso that they must be changed the first time you use them - that would probably have been fine, annoying, but fine! As it is, as the vast majority of ‘secondary’ accounts won’t have any security questions set up, (and why should they, it’s never been required in the past), then they are effectively locked out and require intervention from VM’s customer service staff?

I do see this as further evidence of the deprecation of VM’s entire email support provision - I’d be ever so slightly surprised if they haven’t announced a general shutdown of all email by this time next year.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @Bigredfury, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues that have ensued with the secondary E-Mail account, after the upgrading of your computer.

Can you please confirm if the advice that has been offered to you from our helpful forum members has assisted you with the fixing of this issue?

If not, we will do all we can to assist you where possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Bigredfury
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies and I have now got one of them to log in using the app password (bit of a convoluted way to work but hey ho).

I have one left to try and access but when I try to change the password it's saying I don't have additional detail set up on the account. Why they changed from the primary account having access to all this is beyond me 😞 .

@David_Bn would you be able to assist with this?

Hi Bigredfury, 

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know you've been able to get into one of the addresses but have been unable to do the second due to not having any details set up. 

This is something we can certainly check for you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you to pass security. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Bigredfury
Tuning in

All sorted now with Kaths help.

Much appreciated.

Hi Bigredfury, 

Thanks for popping back to me via private message to let us know things are all resolved. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs