cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset - different name (Investigating)

aaaanditsgone
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media account password has been reset by someone else several times since last Friday. Shortly after it happens, I lose access to my email and have to reset the password to regain access. I have also changed the recovery answer to a long random string which didn't help.

Is there some kind of exploit with the password reset system that allows an attacker to bypass the recovery question? The last two password reset emails even show a different name to the one from my account.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Currently under investigation. Multiple threads merged]

331 REPLIES 331

I contacted support as I have had the same issue. They reset my password, I changed my password and then 5 minutes ago its been changed again but it wasnt me! 

I've done virus scans and all that jazz and came up with nothing. 

oakleyd
On our wavelength

The most annoying thing was the flat out denial that it had even happened when I first reported it. 

Kadrevex
On our wavelength

I also got the same email addressed to someone called PHILIP. But no one attached to the account is named philip.

Sounds like the same issue, I still have the emails with the reference on them. So hopefully VM can look into iy

Kadrevex
On our wavelength

I was told on the phone that "sometimes we reset passwords if it hasn't been changed for a long time" 

Either a bug in their system or a hack. This is only happening with one of my ntlworld email addresses, no other passwords have been compromised as far I know.

Outcasst
On our wavelength

Also having this, but the name on the account was not mine.

My e-mail password was reset on both of my addresses at approximately 16:24 and then again at 20:13

oakleyd
On our wavelength

Virgin Indian gentleman tonight confessed to me that "yes it has been hacked"

Kadrevex
On our wavelength

I'm experiencing the same thing with an email to someone named PHILIP. My password has been reset twice now. Really hope this is just a bug.

Kadrevex
On our wavelength

Not good at all 😞 Hope they can fix this quickly.

oakleyd
On our wavelength

They better or i'll be taking my business elsewhere. Already getting scam phone calls and I have to keep resetting my SMTP pwd on 3 devices and calling them. Better things to do than sit in a phone queue to talk to someone that knows far less than me.