cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password not accepted @ntlworld.com

awr1946
Dialled in

I am the VM account holder and my wife is trying to set up her @ntlworld.com account on her iPhone but it won’t accept the password she enters. 

Emails are ok on her iPad.

We’ve tried various passwords but they don’t work

Where can I find what the password should be?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey awr1946,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account, is your wife able to access her email via her My Virgin Media account? if so, she would need to set a new password, for applications using her email address. The way to do this is shown below:

• Sign in to My Virgin Media
• Go to Account settings, then Account details
• Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
• Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password
• Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked
• Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.

Please give this a try and let me know, if you have any issues and we can assist further.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L

Unfortunately my wife doesn’t have a My Virgin Media account, the account is in my name.

She doesn’t have a problem with the mail on her iPad that works ok

She has a new iPhone and can’t get mail on it without adding a password which we don’t know what it is.

Is there any way we can identify this password?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@awr1946  Every VM email address including Ntlworld.com has its own My Virgin Media account, it doesn't matter that your wife is not the primary account holder.

To access the My Virgin Media account for her address you would need to sign out of any other account before signing in again with the email address concerned and the password.  If the password is not known then the forgotten password link from the sign in screen would need to be used.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following in case there is a server side issue, for example if SMTP server is blocking access to your public IP Address then email account setup will fail to validate authentication credentials. To see if this is the case:

• try sending a message from the iPad to confirm SMTP server is not blocking access; if there is no issue with sending  then proceed with advice offered earlier by Steven_L  and Graham_A otherwise proceed to next step
  • it would be helpful to see what error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:
    curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password
    Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > [Redacted]
    < 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
    > HELP
    < 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    < 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    < 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    < 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    * Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact
    otherwise it will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > [Redacted]
    < 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
    * Closing connection 0
    * TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
    curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

awr1946
Dialled in

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately none of these work.  

Sorry to hear the issue persists @awr1946 

Have you checked here to see if you can trigger a password change on the affected email?  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/login-problems 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua_A,

Thanks for your reply, as I’m the account holder I can’t see my wife’s email address or password.

I can’t sign in using my wife’s email as someone suggested.  My wife probably won’t use her iPhone for mail but stick with her iPad.

Hi @awr1946 

Is the email address working via Webmail?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

awr1946
Dialled in

Hi John_GS,

Thanks for your reply - how do I access webmail?