cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password for outlook

Phil76
Tuning in

I had updated my virgin web site as I had problems with my passwords and finally discovered that blueyonder is going and you have to get a new email address in orfer to update your password, so with help from the 150 I updated it to a hotmail and got a new password.

Its was working fine then it seems that I tried to get my outlook version to work on my desktop, updated the passwords system, now no passwords are working for outlook on phone or desktop

Anyone have a clue how to fix it?  Even the virgin IT couldn't help

The Hotmail is still support to allow the blueyonder email to enter my email but I don't want to keep having to go into the web site, so really want the outlook back up and running 🙂

Cheers, P

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Phil76 wrote:

I had updated my virgin web site as I had problems with my passwords and finally discovered that blueyonder is going and you have to get a new email address in orfer to update your password, so with help from the 150 I updated it to a hotmail and got a new password.

Its was working fine then it seems that I tried to get my outlook version to work on my desktop, updated the passwords system, now no passwords are working for outlook on phone or desktop

The  non-Virgin Media email address is required as part of their multifactor authentication solution to help secure your account. In addition to this an additional password was introduced for use with email clients known as an App Password

Anyone have a clue how to fix it?  Even the virgin IT couldn't help

You need to generate an App Password, see following:

Setting your app password to use an Email app.

If you want to access your Virgin Media emails from an app, you’ll need to create a separate app password through Account settings on My Virgin Media.

To get the password, follow these steps:

Sign in to My Virgin Media
a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

We need to give you a separate app password to help make things more secure as IMAP and POP don’t support extra protection steps, like Multi Factor Authentication.

Remember that this password is separate from your sign in details for My Virgin Media (or any Virgin Media apps). So, if you need to check your Virgin Media Mail emails through My Virgin Media or at mail.virginmedia.com, you'll still use your My Virgin Media password.

[source: How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help]

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help.... already tried the "generate an App Password" as that use to work... however no longer allows outlook to accept any password... including the generate an App Password....

It's frustrating

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following in case a server side block is causing the issue. From a Windows device open a Command Shell and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:civic-rotor-deed-tenet:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Phil76

Thanks for your response

Have you been able to try the above advice in the latest post? if not - please do give this a try and keep us updated with how you get on.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs