cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password for NTLWorld Email Address

Jim_Messenger
Tuning in

Can anyone help with a complex problem caused by old age.

My 93 year old father in law has an active email address ****@ntlworld.com.  This was created decades ago before Virgin existed.   He has lost all paper record of his password.  During all that time he read/wrote emails on his mobile telephone. He is now 90% blind and I want to set up his email on a large screen computer where we can increase font size for him.  Without the password I cannot set up Microsoft Mail (or whatever) for him.

I need a 100% method of retrieving / resetting the password.  At 93 yrs old he has dozens of relatives and hundreds of companies all who have this ONE email address.  It cannot be lost or blocked.

I have all Account No. details, full address etc BUT due to Data Protection Act I cannot contact Virgin by telephone on his behalf.   He cannot participate in any telephone calls unless its with family members.  Therefore if this can be carried out online by me it will be stress free for him.

My skill sets on email/computers/tablets/etc are very high having been in IT for 25 years.  Hence my concern about the risk of losing access.

All suggestions welcomed.

Jim Messenger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jim_Messenger,

Thank you for providing the update on this. I am really sorry to hear of your father-in-law's condition deteriorating since your post. I completely understand the criticality of regaining full access. Unfortunately, as we require the Account Holder to access any email on the account, we are limited in the support we can offer.

The online password reset site is case-sensitive, therefore I would recommend trying the "Mother's Maiden Name" question with both an uppercase, and lowercase letter. If things still aren't working, there are two options:

- If your Father-In-Law can no longer manage his account(s), it may be a more accommodating approach to look into the Government's Power of Attorney process - this is a legal document, which allows a designated person to assist in the management of accounts. You can find out more here.

- Alternatively, if you can get your Father-In-Law to call, and clear security with one of our team, he can then ask for somebody to speak on his behalf for the remainder of the call and our team will do their best to accommodate.

You can speak with our team directly by calling 0345 454 1111.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jim_Messenger You try the forgotten password route:

https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password?intcmpid=cjf-937-forgot-detai...

Enter the Ntlworld email address where it asks for the My Virgin Media account username.

However, if the email address concerned is not attached to a current VM broadband account this may not work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Jim_Messenger,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear of the situation. 

Can you confirm if you've tried what Graham_A has suggested?

Let me know if you still need help and I can pop you over a private message to get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

I haven't tried that link as yet. Any reset emails would go to the father in laws mobile

so I have to be at his house where any attempt  at concentration is constantly interrupted 🙄

I will visit again in the next few weeks and try then.  Having had time to think I now realise

that a Password Reset request has no effect on the actual email account validity.  I will either

get an 'email address known' or a rejection.  I will post the outcome once I have tried.

Jim

Thanks for getting back to us @Jim_Messenger.

Please do keep us updated with how things go.  

Regards

Lee_R

Its been 3 months and circumstances have forced me to re address resetting the father in laws email password.

In that 90 days he has lost all sight and is now registered blind. His daughter now has to read all emails to him.

We live 30 miles away and we visit every 2 weeks.  Important emails (at moment about Gas prices) have therefore

a delay in response,  Even more critical is that he can only receive emails on a 5 yr old mobile phone.  If that dies

then so does all access to Virgin Email.

I have tried all suggestions to reset password.  To do that you are asked Date of Birth (easy) and his mother maiden

name.   Now either he has never registered that or he got it wrong in first place but it is rejected.   So last resort is a 

call to a Virgin Help Line where they will ask to talk to the Account holder who is now non compus mentis.

Note.   The ntlworld email address is recognised so that is one bonus

Jim Messenger

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jim_Messenger,

Thank you for providing the update on this. I am really sorry to hear of your father-in-law's condition deteriorating since your post. I completely understand the criticality of regaining full access. Unfortunately, as we require the Account Holder to access any email on the account, we are limited in the support we can offer.

The online password reset site is case-sensitive, therefore I would recommend trying the "Mother's Maiden Name" question with both an uppercase, and lowercase letter. If things still aren't working, there are two options:

- If your Father-In-Law can no longer manage his account(s), it may be a more accommodating approach to look into the Government's Power of Attorney process - this is a legal document, which allows a designated person to assist in the management of accounts. You can find out more here.

- Alternatively, if you can get your Father-In-Law to call, and clear security with one of our team, he can then ask for somebody to speak on his behalf for the remainder of the call and our team will do their best to accommodate.

You can speak with our team directly by calling 0345 454 1111.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Thanks for the reply Reece. I fully understand and agree with the level of security that all companies now have in place. BUT... technology is rapidly forgetting the frailty of humans.

The family are already discussing Power of Attorney. Not because of 'Big' business hurdles - we expect them from Virgin, British Gas, Severn Trent, TV Licencing to name the current list.

The insanity really kicks in when the Department of Work and Pensions for Disabilities also have similar hurdles. A system that will take weeks for assistance is delayed whilst we faff about with solicitors.

And dont get me started on enforced "Two Step Verification". Web sites I assist him with now send a text to the phone that he "last saw yesterday but cant remember where" - A 4 bed house with garage and extensive garden !!!!. "The texted code will expire in x minutes" !!! Great. Sorry <Rant Over>

We certainly appreciate the frustrations you're experiencing @Jim_Messenger

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley