Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: POP3 servers down ?.

Seems to have fixed it self over-night as  a number of e mails arrived this morning but now getting the same problem intermittently on both my email addresses and my wifes.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: E-Mail Issues

I started getting the same problem - "Unable to connect to your IMAP server" etc. yesterday and it persists today. My settings are correct. I have a Virgin email address (@blueyonder.co.uk) and wonder if the problem lies with them. I get mail through to Thunderbird occasionally but it's intermittent. I've reduced the number of cached connections to 1 but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. My Gmail account is unaffected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@tinyf wrote:

I started getting the same problem - "Unable to connect to your IMAP server" etc. yesterday and it persists today. My settings are correct. I have a Virgin email address (@blueyonder.co.uk) and wonder if the problem lies with them. I get mail through to Thunderbird occasionally but it's intermittent. I've reduced the number of cached connections to 1 but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. My Gmail account is unaffected.

The issue is with Virgin Media's email server and for many it appears to have been corrected overnight.

Do consider restoring the account's Server Settings > Advanced… > Maximum number of server connection to cache as it is not the issue and instead just selecting retry on the odd occasion when the issue occurs.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice VIP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Still not working fully. Still intermittently getting the error messages though often after retrying 2 or 3 times it works. Would Virgin Media like to comment on this and let us know when the problem is likely to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Still hasn't been corrected and is becoming increasingly annoying. Anyone know the state of play? As pgoode said, can someone from Virgin please explain what the problem is and when we can expect a resolution.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I'm also seeing intermittent issues on the IMAP servers.

Operating System:  Linux Mint
Email Program:  Evolution
Incoming Server imap.virginmedia.com port 993 SSL/TLS

Error message::  Empty response

I've also attempted to manually connect to the server using the command openssl s_client -connect imap.virginmedia.com:993

The server connects and negotiates a secure connection but the server can then take 5-10 seconds to actually bring up it's initial greeting message (normally this message should appear straight away).

This would seem to indicate a problem with the mail gateway or possibly the dovecot server on the mail platform itself.

@ModTeam Can you escalate this to the email team please?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 

Will get this escalated, do you have any logs you could provide to show what's happening? Could you PM or email those please?

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev

I can't replicate anything with the POP3 servers but here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing on IMAP

Screenshot from 2020-03-24 17-25-02.png

I'm using IMAP.virginmedia.com Port 993 SSL/TLS

Also seeing an error that says the TLS connection was closed unexpectedly.

With OpenSSL I've tested 

imap.virginmedia.com port 993
imap.blueyonder.co.uk port 993

Here's the same command for both servers

timothy@timothy-Aspire-R3-131T:~$ openssl s_client -connect imap.virginmedia.com:993 -crlf -quiet
depth=2 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, OU = Root CA, CN = GlobalSign Root CA
verify return:1
depth=1 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, CN = AlphaSSL CA - SHA256 - G2
depth=0 C = GB, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = imap.virginmedia.com
timothy@timothy-Aspire-R3-131T:~$ openssl s_client -connect imap.blueyonder.co.uk:993 -crlf -quiet
depth=2 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, OU = Root CA, CN = GlobalSign Root CA
depth=1 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, CN = AlphaSSL CA - SHA256 - G2
depth=0 C = GB, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = imap.blueyonder.co.uk
* OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782BY ].

We should see the line in red on both commands - the letters at the end of the code in square brackets varies according to the server used.

imap.virginmedia.com = VM
imap.blueyonder.co.uk = BY
imap.ntlworld.com        = NTL
imap.virgin.net              = VN

I'm only seeing the issue on imap.virginmedia.com  I have tested all four servers.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B 

I've sent you the output from a pair of CURL commands via PM

Let me know if you need anything more.

Tim