Menu
all129
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

POP3 "Recent mode" discontinued?

We have used "recent mode" for POP3 email* ever since VM switched to Gmail (in 2009?).  It survived the switch back in-house in 2015.  But it seems now to have stopped working.  Is this the result of a change in VM's  servers?  Unannounced?

FTAOD:

a. by "recent mode" I mean prefixing the user name (for Logon only) by "recent:"

b.it now produces an "Authentication failed"  error

*It allows email from the account to be downloaded to more than one device. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: POP3 "Recent mode" discontinued?

'Recent' mode was rendered redundant  by the move to the internal VM Mail system in 2015.  The system was set to automatically strip out the 'recent' prefix.

It is possible that this process has failed or that the error is being caused by some other issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The authentication issue returns! Yesterday I got mail. Today I'm being asked for a password - which is not being recognized. All I did was shut down.

All POP3 settings changed as advised.

'Recent' prefix removed.

What's going on?

0 Kudos
aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The pop3 service has suddenly stopped working for me. So I can't fetch mail and read it in my preferred editor on my computer: have to login and read mail using the VM browser interface, which I have always hated, and still hate. Moreover I was not sent any warning that the system was going to change. Does VM want to drive away its long term users by messing them around without any warning or explanation of what's chaniging?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you changed all server settings (so for IMAP, POP, SMTP) from Blueyonder (or other legacy domain name) to Virginmedia ?  When you do that on a number of clients you'll find that the password needs re-entering.  So my main email address is <oldgoat> @blueyonder.co.uk, that's working just fine, but my client settings needed changing to pop3.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com, and then I had to reenter my password.

From my previous Blueyonder settings the security and port numbers didn't change, can't say if that applies universally.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-mozilla-thunderbird

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The password has not been changed.....the 'remember me' box is ticked......but the password is not accepted.

However, after changing settings yesterday, inputting my Virgin Media password seemed to work and my inbox filled with mail!

Today that no longer works either.

0 Kudos
aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have also been experiencing that sort of intermittent success. For some reason my blueyonder mail is now coming in again.

Perhaps someone, somewhere,  working for VM has been changing things: first getting them wrong, then later getting them right?

Aaron

0 Kudos